Pink Topaz Fluorescence

Try this one :grinning: Better pictures, I hope.

3 pink topaz, the fluorescent pic was taken using a 405nm flashlight, while not technically a UV light source, it appears to be enough to get this topaz to fluoresce a pink/orange color. I can find little info online regarding pink topaz fluorescence. Anyone have anything on this, or point me somewhere?

1 Like

It’s my understanding that topaz does not fluoresce. I had a pink topaz that I had bought online that had a quite string fluorescence & ultimately concluded it was mislabeled )or misrepresented) lab corundum. Have you done other tests to confirm that it’s topaz?

2 Likes

Specific gravity and RI fall in the range of topaz, the 3 stones were cut from a single crystal, and I’m told the crystal originated in Finland.
I’ve seen white, blue and red Finnish topaz, but never pink, until now.

Here isa natural pink topaz color to compare (does not fluoresce).

1 Like

Many thanks for that, but it doesn’t compare, that stone is stunning, and the setting is beautifully done, would have been an awesome piece if it fluoresced :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may be wide of the mark, but mercury vapour coating is the most obvious candidate for fluorescence, but the orangey pink of the first picture looks more like the stones came from Brazil where brown tinted stones are heated to produce pink. Is it possible that the stones are reflecting the 405Nm, because the colour concentration is limited to outside facets?

It’s ‘not’ impossible, just doesn’t seem likely.
I’ve ordered some hardware for my camera, see if I can get some better pics or small video of 1 of them closer up.

I did find this yesterday on the University of Texas website -`

U.V. Fluorescence : weak; blue and colorless topaz may show a weak yellow or greenish glow under long wavelength u.v… Sherry-brown, pink, or golden yellow topaz may show a strong orange-yellow fluorescence under long wavelength u.v. light that is much weaker under short wavelength u.v. light.

Link to the whole page

`Although the information is 10 years old it seems some topaz do actually fluoresce,. They do mention orange-yellow, but not pink-orange, yet :thinking:

fluorescence is definitely not the problem, weak fluorescence from topaz is still a recognised factor but the pink fluorescence is not what anybody expects to see. Mercury would explain it, but reflection could just be a candidate too. Immersion might help you to spot any surface anomaly.
PS hope I’m not teaching my granny yo suck eggs, so to speak :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No, not at all @Cal59, you carry on, any info or suggestions are helpful, immersion is one thing I hadn’t done with them. Thanks for that :+1:

On the topic of Topaz, has anyone come up with a way to tell if there is treatment or not?

Even if not a 100% guarantee, but, SOMETHING quick and dirty.

1 Like

Since Cal59’s comment on immersion, I’ve done more reading, it seems immersion and magnification is the simpler way to detect treated ones.
I’ve yet to try it, so I’ll see how it goes, i do have coated ones to compare them, which will help.

This turned out to be more complicated than I expected, but all part of the learning curve. I’ll put an update with whatever I find out about these ones.

Yeah, coating is easy to spot with a 10x or, I’ll be a jerk if people are being jerks… One guy in Tucson was trying to tell me his OBVIOUSLY coated pink topaz was 100% natural, so, I just scratched the coating off one with another, he wasn’t too pleased… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m more interested in figuring out if the yellow or imperial colours are treated.

I know that most of the heat/irradiation/??? treatments for yellow/brown/pinkish aren’t light stable, but, sometimes I want an answer in less than a week…

2 Likes

Sweet, that’s one way to test them, gotta remember that one :wink:

If you have the hardware, I’d try a few immersions under a microscope, although at this time, I’ve no idea what I’m looking for, I do have various heated/irradiated ones to look at first.

Right!?! There MUST MUST MUST be some telltale signs. Even if only 25-30% of stones exhibit it, when buying topaz, you are normally buying a parcel, so, it should be possible to see hints in at least some of the gems.

Still trying to find a way to figure out copper in tourmaline without a lab… :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought I recognized the ‘quick and dirty’ reference -

(Easy test for copper in tourmaline?):

Not trying to hijack my thread are you @Skyjems? :rofl:

I’ve not purchased any parcels of anything yet, so I’ve no experience in checking parcels out. I’m sure it’ll come in the future, I’m just starting to have a go at faceting. I’ve just been collecting single stones from here and there.

download

It was my cat… :joy:

2 Likes

@Cal59 as promised, I finally got the immersion fluid sorted out, in this case, Wntergreen. I tried to get a UV shot but my microscopes camera didn’t like it.
So these are just taken using the scopes top light source.
There appears to be no coating or other treatment on these.
The pics are of just 1 stone at 10x, 20x and 40x

Cut and cropped, but no other changes to the original pic’s.

1 Like

There’s certainly nothing jumping out. I’d look at the girdle and if that doesn’t show any thing, you can take it that these are what you were told they are, because the only thing left for those of us without a full lab is maybe destructive testing like diamond polishing a girdle facet.
To me it remains an unknown but thanks for sharing you investigation
One thing is certain, we learn a little everyday and we need an awful lot of days to know what Mother nature has done to all the rocks we come across.

2 Likes

It’s an odd one that’s for sure.
I’m waiting to get my SWUV lamp back, see what it does under shortwave, then I think it’s time to send one of them to a lab and see what they say.
I’ve done just about all I can do with the hardware I have.

Oh well, back to learning some more :wink:

1 Like

Pink topaz from Pakistan is colored by trace amounts of Chromium. it being an activator in gemstone fluoresces a nice pink color even in small amounts.
I just tested my pink topaz and it too fluoresces.
Some more info here
http://www.meelis-bluetopaz.com/literatur/pink-topaz-from-pakistan-1986.pdf
The attractive pink color of topaz is caused by
trace amounts of the Cr3+ ion; other topaz colors
are due to color centers (Nassau, 1984). In accord,
microprobe analyses of the Katlang pink topazes
showed chromium-oxide contents of 0.01 to 0.03
wt.% that correlate with the intensity of color. No
color change was observed in specimens that had
been exposed to the hot summer sun of Peshawar
(38’-48OC) for 65 days (Jan, 1979)

2 Likes