Natural or Treated Opal

Depends on what YOU paid for it?
I have seen opal soaked in sugar to give a black opal effect

I agree!and as always more testing than just a pix.

I feel sorry for you because you have obviously got a beautiful ring and are now caught up in the hazy world of opal identification. It may be a very valuable black opal or otherwise. If it were not in a mount it would be easier to identify by various physical tests but also cost you $'s to get certification that it really is natural black opal. If you like it then enjoy it for what it is. If you plan to sell it then please offer the buyer the option of returning it if not satisfied within a reasonable period. Good Luck!

1 Like

It is a pretty ring and looks VERY nice - it really does.
Digging into details from your photos, if one judges by the color of the slightly cloudy, slightly yellowish tint in the semi-translucent background, the way the stone took the polish, with apparent minor variations in hardness, pits and imperfections as well as the quality of the final sanding/polish work, my first guess is that you may have a “smoked” Ethiopian opal. I am puzzled by the outer texture of the stone in how the surface reflects light in some of your photos… wondering if the stone was coated(?).
Australian opal can have pitting and variations in hardness, etc, but not so commonly as Ethiopian. The difference in one vs the other would be on the order of several thousand dollars for an equally lovely stone. This in no way diminishes the beauty of the ring, so as Ivanlvars says… If you like it… enjoy it!

Hi,
So can a gemologist distinguish the difference between a natural and synthetic gemstone as well if the stone is treated or not treated? I see that when you get an item appraised it is different from the GIA report. Is it worth getting a GIA report for an expensive gemstone?
Thank you

Hi,
Andamooka opals can be different prices according to their color patterns, colors and how well they are treated. This one has super flash and the dark tone makes it perfect for an expensive ring.

One like the one you have would be pricey, even directly from the miner, who smoked it. It just needs some light polishing for the minor scratches and good as new!

The water test will show you what it looked like at first and with time and wear, everything gets some scuffs. Your local jeweler can polish it up a tad and cheaper than having it appraised.

Hi everyone,
Could this opal be a Smoked Ethiopian Opal?
Thank you