Identification direction please?

Anyone can point to what this likely is?

RI reading says 1.772-1.773ish
SG averaging on a cheap digital scale says 2.672, with high result 2.88 to low 2.65 with another cheap scale… Its doubly refractive.
seems to me it has some needle-like inclusions and those weak internal streaks i find in aquamarine.
In UV-LW, it becomes a rather strong dull yellow color.

I will work hard on my memory and skill on gemology after the summer :wink: Life is hard and busy… Sorry, and thanks in advance!

Hi Erik, the only DR Yellow or orange gemstone with that RI range is a natural yellow sapphire or synthetic, however the. SG is way off at 4.00.
The DR gemstones that are in your SG range are
*****Yellow beryl —helilodor
*****Scapolite
*****Citrine

Is it possible your refractometer is giving wrong readings?

1 Like

JCBellGG: Thanks alot for your reply!

I did previously visually compare it to some heliodor rough i have in my collection, and its striking similar.
The readings also confuse me, otherwise try harder to ID them myself.

They were found by a friend of mine in nature during a vacation in Croatia

Citrine measures very stable on the refractometer, so it cant be that.
The refractometer is probably an no-brand knockoff from ebay, but it has worked fine on alot of other stones previously… I did cut the reading area of the stone to get a clear reading; and its very strong and distinct at that range. Though im not experienced in how bad a refractometer can behave if poorly made.

BR

2 Likes

Heliodor would make sense. You did mention that your aquamarine had similar internal characteristics which makes sense since they’re both in the beryl family. However, Ukraine is a major producer of Heliodor but I couldn’t find any info of it being found in Croatia. Both countries are in the Balkans region, so it could be a strong ‘maybe’
I’m curious to know what you find out
. Please let us know

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi again,

I manage to get a kind of reading at RI1.57 with polarizing filter… i dont know what issue the refractometer has, but its enough to buy a new one…

Smells even more like heliodor then…

Pungent!

1 Like

Are all of these you listed possible fluorescent under UV?

Yeah, it’s looking like scapolite

Yeah, I was thinking it was Golden beryl.

1 Like

PaulB36648 suggested testing for fluorescence and I agree

Under UV, Heliodor aka golden beryl does not fluoresce, however Scapolite shows a very strong yellow