Identification direction please?

Anyone can point to what this likely is?

RI reading says 1.772-1.773ish
SG averaging on a cheap digital scale says 2.672, with high result 2.88 to low 2.65 with another cheap scale… Its doubly refractive.
seems to me it has some needle-like inclusions and those weak internal streaks i find in aquamarine.
In UV-LW, it becomes a rather strong dull yellow color.

I will work hard on my memory and skill on gemology after the summer :wink: Life is hard and busy… Sorry, and thanks in advance!

Hi Erik, the only DR Yellow or orange gemstone with that RI range is a natural yellow sapphire or synthetic, however the. SG is way off at 4.00.
The DR gemstones that are in your SG range are
*****Yellow beryl —helilodor
*****Scapolite
*****Citrine

Is it possible your refractometer is giving wrong readings?

1 Like

JCBellGG: Thanks alot for your reply!

I did previously visually compare it to some heliodor rough i have in my collection, and its striking similar.
The readings also confuse me, otherwise try harder to ID them myself.

They were found by a friend of mine in nature during a vacation in Croatia

Citrine measures very stable on the refractometer, so it cant be that.
The refractometer is probably an no-brand knockoff from ebay, but it has worked fine on alot of other stones previously… I did cut the reading area of the stone to get a clear reading; and its very strong and distinct at that range. Though im not experienced in how bad a refractometer can behave if poorly made.

BR

2 Likes

Heliodor would make sense. You did mention that your aquamarine had similar internal characteristics which makes sense since they’re both in the beryl family. However, Ukraine is a major producer of Heliodor but I couldn’t find any info of it being found in Croatia. Both countries are in the Balkans region, so it could be a strong ‘maybe’
I’m curious to know what you find out
. Please let us know

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi again,

I manage to get a kind of reading at RI1.57 with polarizing filter… i dont know what issue the refractometer has, but its enough to buy a new one…

Smells even more like heliodor then…

Pungent!

1 Like

Are all of these you listed possible fluorescent under UV?

Yeah, it’s looking like scapolite

Yeah, I was thinking it was Golden beryl.

1 Like

PaulB36648 suggested testing for fluorescence and I agree

Under UV, Heliodor aka golden beryl does not fluoresce, however Scapolite shows a very strong yellow

1 Like

scapolite does occur in the old mining districts of northwestern Croatia. Found in metamorphic rocks rich in calcium and sodium, with best material coming from contact metamorphism of limestone. If you can positively ID as scoplite, you have a collector’s item… the mineral is relatively rare, with gem quality stones bringing a high price.
SG ranges from 2.5 to 2.7… Calcium and sodium and in solid solution with each other, with three end members ranging from Calcium rich to sodium rich… also sulfate and chlorine can substitute for each other. that accounts of the variability in Specific gravity. Refractive index is 1.54 -1.58… Higher than what your firstt reading was. Beryl is much harder, refractive index and SG is higher than scapolite…
some of your specimens suggest a hexagonal crystal, more in keeping with beryl… scapolite is tetragonal… try scratching a known reference for hardness.

1 Like

Subject Scapolite

Hi Steven,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have completed my studies and wanted to thank you for your expertise.

Best regards,
Emanuel Nyahoe

have you come closer to a definitive ID?.. if so, please let me and the others know… I think we are all interested.

Subject: Apologies for the Delay

Scapolite Information**

Hi everyone, and especially Steven26738,

First off, I want to apologize for the late response—I’m new to forums and still getting the hang of things. I hope this breakdown on scapolite is helpful:

Scapolite Characteristics:

• Crystal System: Tetragonal
  • Fractures: Uneven to conchoidal
  • Hardness: 6 on the Mohs scale
  • Specific Gravity (SG): Ranges from 2.50 to 2.74
  • Colors: Commonly found in yellow, pink, and colorless varieties
  • Lustre: Vitreous
  • Absorption Spectrum: Diagnostic for pink scapolite only

Additional Notes on Yellow Scapolite:

• Refractive Index (RI): Higher compared to other colors
  • Double Refraction (DR): 1.54 - 1.58
  • Birefringence: 0.009 - 0.026
  • Optical Nature: Uniaxial negative (−)

For identification, quartz can help as it’s uniaxial positive (+), which contrasts with scapolite’s uniaxial negative (−) nature.

Again, my apologies for the delayed response—I’m juggling a lot of study material and trying to remember everything! Wishing you all love and prosperity.

Best regards,
Emanuel Nyahoe Fleming

1 Like

so is it scapolite? and is it definitive? or do you have something else?..the RI and SG are the same as what I posted…please let everyone know when you have a definitive ID.

: Clarification on Scapolite Discussion**

Hello everyone,

As I’ve already explained, scapolite has specific properties that are identifiable, and I’ve provided those details to you. However, I want to emphasize that identifying a gemstone, especially through images, is never conclusive. For accurate identification, it’s essential to seek professional assistance from an accredited gemologist.

It would be unprofessional and frankly, irresponsible, for me to make definitive statements about a gemstone without proper analysis. My goal here is to share information, not to make final judgments that could lead to incorrect conclusions.

I don’t appreciate being pressured into giving an absolute answer when that’s not the right approach. I joined this forum with good intentions to share knowledge, and I believe we should keep the discussion constructive.

Thank you, and let’s move forward.

Best regards,
Emanuel Nyahoe Fleming

My post should have gone to GeirErikA92972… still curious whether GeirErik was able to obtain a definitive ID…that is to whom it should have been directed. I agree 100% with you that pictures only tell a fraction of the story. I also agree 100% that the specimens require profession input… Sorry that my post was misdirected to you… forgive me for the misdirected post… both of us came up with some of the properties of scapolite but it’s still impossible for a definitive ID without in person expert testing and opinion. I am in complete agreement with you. What I did want to know is whether GeirErik who first posted the images was able to confirm the ID through getting an expert in person examination of his stones… sorry for the mix up… had no intention of pressuring you for an anwer that no one can give just from pictures… sorry and thanks for your input.

A number of people offered properties of minerals that could relate to your stones. My question is that whether you have found a definitive ID on your stone… that would require expert in person examination, testing of them by a certified gemmologist as noted by EmmauelF… my question as to a definitive ID was misdirected to him… please take your stone in for a gemmologic examination by a certified gemmologist, then post the results… I am definitely interested in a definitive ID… and I also believe that others are also… Pictures and properties as measured by yourself only tell half the story at most… there is not substitute for professional testing and ID… thanks

1 Like

see my previous posts… wondering whether you have a definitive ID.

see my posts, apologize for posting to wrong person. should have been directed to GeirErik… was wondering if he did get a definitive ID via expert testing and opinion…