Do you/would you sell fake diamonds?

I’m on record all over the internet saying NAY, I have told anyone who will listen that I would rather sell them natural zircon or even cut glass over a fake/CVD diamond.

I have never sold synthetic emerald/ruby/sapphire etc, the closest thing is I carried CZ for a little while, but I stopped because I normally get really excited when packages of goods arrive, and the two parcels of CZ sat in a corner for a month without opening them, I just can’t sell things I have zero enthusiasm for…

SO: How about you?

3 Likes

My shop is actually closed because of quarantine, before this, I was selling a lot of gems set on silver, due to the cost of gold & the buying power of the average tourist here in Bahia. No way I’m going to work with cubic zirconia & I have never seen natural colorless zircon in 30 years of Brasil. I purchased rough colorless topaze (!) & had it cut in calibrated 3/4/5mm round stones. Et voilà. Problem solved & the customers really appreciate that the stones on their jewel are all natural, including the diamond looking ones.

https://www.instagram.com/minasdabahia

1 Like

Yes friends, thanks to the popularization of gemological science, today clients have become more educated and prefer natural stones.
Although I believe that the future belongs to synthetics, nevertheless there will always be connoisseurs and consumers of the natural segment of gemstones.

2 Likes

Synthetics are for people who buy plastic shoes, eat plastic food & wear plastic gems.
If I discover that one of my providers is also dealing with synthetics, I will imediately blacklist him & send a warning to all my contacts. Synthetics are for traders without ethics.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. simply because of the specifics of one of my activities, I monitor the world market, communicate with thousands of dealers, suppliers, etc.and see sad trends in the world market. Today, 23% of all diamonds on the market are synthetic. but without documents, I think more, and a lot of unscrupulous sellers.

NO NO NO!!!

100% off all DIAMONDS are natural.

At least 23% of what is being sold as diamonds are fake CVD garbage.

Fixed that for you! :wink:

2 Likes

As a buyer of jewelry, I’m for all natural. With that being said, I can’t afford diamonds anyways, but I literally hate anything fake- gemstones, people, pleather…you get the idea. Fake diamonds like CZ’s turn my stomach. Maybe it’s because my sister in law bought a CZ ring that looked exactly like her wedding rings and wore them, “in case she was robbed”. The problem is, they look fake. I would rather wear faceted white sapphires than a fake diamond. I would rather wear a crappy real diamond than a fake one. I expect all sellers to disclose if they’re real or fake. By the way, my sister-in-law never got robbed and she walked around with fake shit on her hand while the beautiful wedding rings my brother bought her sat at home in a jewelry box!

1 Like

One must be careful when using the word “fake”. Lab created gems are not fakes. They are chemically the same as natural stones. There is a time and a place for everything. As long as it is disclosed as to being a lab created I have no problem.

2 Likes

100% Agree with you.
Have a look here: Sign Up | LinkedIn

1 Like

NEVER NEVER NEVER !

I would sincerely sell glass for what it is even if I have never doing it, than dare to sell synthesis of any gem. I DO LOVE stones, gems or not, quartz, granit, sandstone, as well as sapphires and fancy diamonds. Each of them is unique, naturally produced by our planet with time, pressure, temperature, and the magical chance which decided that here there would be blue tourmaline, there, pink corundum, here, emerald. I live next to sublime mines. How could I take the slightest interest in industrial production which ultimately has no other purpose than to deceive?

3 Likes

Term Undefined: “fake”. ;))

1 Like

That’s odd that you have never seen colorless Zircon. I guess most come from Cambodia. I just happen to have a VVS 1.30ct white Zircon.I hope these pictures change you mind about the elusive white Zircon.
All the best,
Otter

1 Like

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I guess Brazil doesn’t need to import a lot of goods and if very few people in Brazil want natural white zircon, and white topaz is plentiful, it makes sense.

I have a fair amount of Zircon as well (but I can’t ship to Brasil! :wink: )

Contact for wholesale pricing.

1 Like

Sure I would and I do. Its all about the beauty of a stone and giving buyers a choice. Admit it, the only thing that makes a diamond expensive is the cleaver marketing done by Debeers. I personally find moissanite and cultured diamonds far superior to mined diamonds and you can’t beat the price tag. Their clarity sparkle and fire beat included and over priced mined diamonds hands down and since they are so perfect, have just about the same hardness and durability I predict soon enough the hyped up media appeal of mined diamonds will be phased out. The stiff and stuffy mined diamond praises will have no choice but to bow down to perfection and price reasonability. Moissanite in my experience seems to be more of a bestie for girls these days. Fine marketing DeBeers jewelers but make way for the new stones that hold more weight in value, clarity and increasing popularity. C’mon, you cant argue with perfection and thats what people want. Good bye SI hello Flawless

1 Like

It is theorically prohibited to import gems into Brasil. I have seen a lot of them during my 3 months stay in Jaipur in 1981.

1 Like

Man-made, artificial, sinthetic, lab grown. You are just playing with words. To me it’s all the same junk, crap, bul…it. Im playing with words too, of course. For those who want to argue that junk is not the same as crap.

2 Likes

You should see the beautiful Blue Zircons they try to pass off as Sapphires on the streets of Ratnapura, Sri Lanka ! ;))))) Three things can save you … You’ll see strong doubling in the facet junctions of the pavilion; They can fluoresce Orange or Yellow under UV light; They are OTL on standard refractometers!

1 Like

Blacklisted.
As Dylan used to say: You go your way, I go mine.

1 Like
                                          Trying to make it clearer:
                                     God made diamonds (or gems)
                                                           or
                                    Man made diamonds (or gems)
                                                       ???????

Many years ago when I was poor student, my wife’s wedding band was inlayed with nice colorless zircons. Alas, in everyday wear, the zircons quickly chipped and scratched. Then in more favorable economic circumstances they were replaced with diamonds. Guess there’s a time and a place for diamond simulants, but mostly there’s no substitute for the real thing.

4 Likes