Cannot figure out what stone this is

I acquired this beautiful polished stone sphere and I google imaged it and the results kept pulling up blue apatite but I’m not sure if that’s what it is.

Hi! Does it have a schiller (shimmer) to it? A blue flash perhaps? It looks like it could be an apatite, but from the pic it also looks like it could be labradorite?

1 Like

I thought the same that it could be either but I’m starting to think :thinking: it’s blue apatite

Yes, your last pic looks the most like apatite. Here are a couple of my blue apatite spheres. Of course the usual disclaimer about using a pic for ID, but yours def looks like it could be apatite. cheers!:v:

Thank you so much for this. It was driving me crazy :joy:Do you think the black inclusions could be tourmaline or obsidian or something :thinking:

Thank you!!

Can you get a RI on it? That is the best way to determine what it is.

It looks more like labradorite, and two tests should help. One is hardness where apatite is softer at Moh’s 5 compared to labradorite’s 6. Here you will need a small sample of apatite but you may not want to scratch your globe in case it is apatite. The other test is density. Apatite is relatively heavy compared to labradorite. So, if you calculate the volume of your globe from its diameter and divide its weight by that volume (using the same units) that calculation will give you its density. Then by looking at tables of mineral density in the units you have used (but not specific gravity!) you should get an answer to your question.