Can you tell me if this is emerald?

Hello All, A month ago I posted photos of the ring on right and was told it was green tourmaline. I bought another ring with a green stone a few days ago . The stone is set in 12 grams of 18k gold . Could it be emerald ?
Thanks for your help !

It’s hard to tell from photos, but it does not scream emerald to me. Tourmaline would again be my first port of call. What is the carat of the gold and what did the seller tell you?

6 Likes

Hi, It’s 18k gold and weighs 11 grams

Well someone thought enough of the stone to mount it in a reasonable quantity of high carat gold (sorry I just realized you mentioned that in your original post)…what did your seller say the stone was?

1 Like

Hi, He said topaz! I might take a video tomorrow and upload . I think you’re right about tourmaline though . Thanks

1 Like

Looks like tourmaline. The olive green cast in the third and last picture appears to be typical tourmaline color. Additionally, the hexagonal shape is characteristic of tourmaline cut on the c-axis. In general, emeralds are cut deep to emphasize color and a hexagonal shape would be rare…

5 Likes

Best guess: glass

Also possibly topaz or if you are very lucky, Tourmaline.

I’ve pulled glass out of all karats of gold, which are sometimes stamped differently than they really are (including of course base metals/paste stamped as 18k/750/plat etc)

2 Likes

Oooooooo…well the hallmark could be faked I guess…we never saw much of that in our last home (the UK) as hallmarking is so strictly controlled, nor do we see it much in NZ, but it is a possibility, no doubt.

They say they are strict about it in Canada, but they don’t do anything about it. :frowning:

And of course there is this beautiful 2.5 gram 18kt gold pendant for only $3.79!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955850594.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2c43152bbSvE2G&algo_pvid=e42c00b6-0b01-4043-be71-9866dce852e2&algo_expid=e42c00b6-0b01-4043-be71-9866dce852e2-1&btsid=0ab6f81615869881948172333e102a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

3 Likes

Oh dear lord, I hope not glass !

Any chance of a picture or two of the hallmark inside it?
Might help narrow things down a little more for you.

Hi! From the photos alone it does not look like an emerald. You could use a Chelsea Filter to see if there any Chromium present. It looks like either Tourmaline or Diapotase

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s not an emerald, The inclusions seen on the fourth photo do not belong to emerald

1 Like

Hi. I think is a tourmaline. It show the classic colour of this stone in photo n. 3 and 5. If you have a chelsea filter you can see the color. I hope you are lucky and your stone become red so you have a Chrome tourmaline… african emeralds don’t change color at Chelsea filter.
Have a nice day!

2 Likes

From the pictures alone one cannot tell for certain whether the stone is emerald or not. Having said that, the finished shape of a stone, after being faceted, usually does not reflect on the stones crystalline structure. When a stone is faceted, the finished shape is determined by the design wanted for the end result and most important, getting the most finished material out of a rough stone. There could have been a crack or deep chip or some other imperfection in the original piece of rough that deemed the stone be cut in that particular shape.
As for your piece, the color seems to be slightly darker than one would expect for a quality emerald but it does have inclusions in it, that could be a sign of an emerald. Almost all natural emeralds have inclusions in them, (beware ones that don’t as they probably are lab created)…or super expensive because of their rarity.
Tourmalines typically are clear and do not have inclusions in them, with the exception of cheaper stones.
As for the color, it could be the lighting when the pics were taken or the camera itself.

3 Likes

All of the guesses in the world will not answer the question…do the testing and remove all doubt!!!

3 Likes

The only way to truly know is to have one of us IGS or GIA Certified Professional Gemologist do a complete Test on it, starting with R.I. and spectrometer and polariscope. Otherwise it’s a best guess.
Sincerely, Mike G. Acquire Collectibles, IGS Certified Professional Gemologist

1 Like

A natural and genuine Emerald is deep green in color. Bluish green to pure green are also acceptable. The stones with lighter hue are not Emeralds, but green beryl. A true emerald will be as darker as a glass Coke bottle. Emeralds typically have some inclusions, which are tolerable.

For more details, Read at Emerald information - quality, price and treatment at Navneet Gems

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing…beautiful website by the way.
Laurentb

1 Like

There is a secondary light yellowish green color, indicative of green tourmaline. Photos are very difficult to judge though and depending on the light source when photographing, it can show colors that are not actually in the stone. Emerald (and glass) will look the same color regardless of the viewing direction, while tourmaline should show a secondary color (but chrome tourmalines sometimes don’t). My guess (that is all it is at this point) is that it is a tourmaline.

1 Like