Calling Gemstone Identification Wizards

I’ve taken the first step in collecting gems and minerals, but I got a mixed box and had a little trouble identifying them. This is all new to me. I think the ones I’ve grouped together are the same but not sure. I’m guessing they are all citrine. I already have orange calcite so I don’t think it’s them. The hexagonal ones I thought might be ruby but it’s almost too dark to tell. If you can help me it’d be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m not a Gemstone Identification Wizard, more of a Rock Spotter’s Sorcerer’s Apprentice, but I’ll give it a go for you.
Green one looks like Fuschite.
Black one is Snowflake Obsidian.
Yellow ones look like Calcite, drag one across a glass bottle, if it scratches it, it could be Citrine. If not, it’s Calcite.
White one looks like Quartz, same as above, try it on a bottle.
Red ones are Corundum or Ruby if you like.

I’m sure someone will correct any I’ve gotten wrong, but it gives you a place to start.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I tested the orange and it scratched so I think it’s citrine. I did it with the one I thought was calcite and it didn’t so it confirmed it.

1 Like

One if the most important tools in primary gem identification is the Specific Gravity test, very straight forward to do and will quickly narrow the possibilities of what a piece of material might be.

If you Google you will find plenty on how to undertake the SG test, then you can move on to more refined testing.

1 Like

Hello again
Write to you about the book
written by Dr. Walter Schumann.
It is also a fantastic textbook
about everything you need to know.
My specialty is Alexandrite,
Sapphire, Ruby and Green Tourmaline.
Have lived and studied these for many years
Gems in Sri Lanka.
To see if it’s Ruby. Need
you a cheap uv pen lamp.
Not many red stones like that
is Fluorescence. Ruby strong carmine red
Can be confused with Spinel:)
There are also others seen to see it
on when you tuck into a rough stone.

Ps. Look at your stones often with one
10xLupp.
Good luck
Peter from Sweden

Oh forgot to write that
rough stones shall be
dipped in water or
preferably coconut oil,
when to look at them:)

I will try to make an assumption and am almost sure that I am right.)
from left to right

1. green is like sodium mica - Paragonite
  2. Black with white dots 100% snow obsidian
  3. reddish-pink crystals - red corundum (ruby)
  4. White transparent - quartz
  5. Yellow Crystal Fragments - Citrine
    Contact if you have any questions or need help)

Hi, definitely all are right as far as I think, only one green stone I have different opinion.
It seems to me to be Aventurine and not fuchsite.

Just looking at stones is hardly a way of identifying them, though nothing wrong to start thinking about possibilities. There absolutely must be specific procedures for identification; this is all covered in the coursework in the site. For example, procedures would include determination of specific gravity, refractive index, pleochroism, optic character, magnification, reaction to color filter, fluorescence, and spectroscope.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendation! I actually bought that book after you and a few others did too, I went to Amazon and ordered a hardback copy

Handbook of Rocks, Minerals, and Gemstones

Ooooo so fun to my experience
comes in handy.
I myself am inside and read a little
every day.
Has long practical experience
by Precious Stones.
Is now home in Sweden otherwise
up in the mountains of Sri Lanka
with the friends of the miners.
Feel free to call. responds
not so often on that mob
But can call back too
I call very cheap.
+46 767-23 15 00
Good luck in the stone world:)

1 Like

Ps Everyone who wants to get
please call
We must all help
each other. It does
life smooth

I agree with PL01 looks to me to be exactly that!

Ok : Ruby Crystals ( or Rhodolite), Citrine( or might be sunstone),Whiteish one could be Beryl, Calcite,Topaz or Quartz. Black and white is Snowflake Obsidian and what appears to be Mica Schist ( Silver Greenish looking one) . You have to Test! Best way is to either do a specific gravity test and hardness test. - Mike Acquire Collectibles

Anybody consider that the 6 sided yellow stones could be yellow Sapphire ? Check the hardness if you can.