Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Best Emeralds

Are Columbian Emeralds the best and most valuable of the larger rough ? If not, where can I find them ?

I think it’s the most clear and best colour that is the best. I will land shortly in Zambia. Waiting on Kigali now for connecting flight. I had this cut from last trip there just a month ago

But it’s hard to find the top grade. Will probably just buy aquamarine. Just hope another great emerald will show.

The most expensive emeralds are from Colombia.

However, that does not necessarily make them the best.

I compare it to racial prejudice:

Chinese people may be good at math, but, I wouldn’t hire an accountant just because she is Chinese, she may be terrible at math.

Every gem needs to be looked at as an individual, just like every human needs to be looked at as an individual.

That said… everything else being equal (exact same colour, clarity, weight etc.), an emerald with a paper saying it’s from Colombia is currently selling for at least a 50%-100% premium to other localities, very fine stones are selling for as much as a 300%+++ premium.

The best emeralds, guys, are the Ural emeralds. Color, hue, saturation and chemical composition