Yellow diamond appraisal

I have a natural yellow diamond ring that I want to have appraised. I was planning on taking it to a local jeweler to have them send to GIA for a report. The stone is between 2 and 3 carats. Please advise: Is this the best way to get it graded and appraised? Should I send it to GIA myself? I was concerned about insurance for the stone. Thanks for your help!

1. Find a reputable jeweler who carries GIA-graded diamonds or has GIA-trained associates on staff, and they will submit the stone for you. Packaging, shipping and insuring items of high value are best handled by the GIA retail jeweler that does it regularly

2)GIA does not perform appraisals, but their grading reports do confirm a diamond’s characteristics which in turn determines its value.

GIA retail jewelers directory

TOLL FREE GIA grading report questions
800-421-7250

My advice would be similar in that I would take it to a local, qualified appraiser. I would first ask them if the stone is worthy of sending to GIA for a lab report.
If the diamond is a yellow tinted diamond that would not qualify as a “fancy” then nothing is really gained by having the report and you would be out a few hundred dollars for the report itself.