Would you call this Mali a Leuco?

hmmmm ! white sapphire or colourless spinel looks like to me? but the table needs table be dropped a bit for better light refraction this will also liven up the gem a bit more! and mack the gem really pop with a zinon white light return flicker /scintillation. :yum: :ok_hand:t4: :+1:t4:

sorry about that I meant to say that the table needs to be drop.

Thank you for the information about recutting. It is a certified “light green” Mali Garnet (Grossular), I was just wondering if the color could be considered Leuco in color. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry I meant to say it is AIG Certified Grossular from Mali. :slight_smile:

1 Like

By definition, a leuco garnet would be colorless. However, your “light green” garnet looks at least as colorless as the leuco garnet with a “very slight yellowish tint” featured in our Grossular Gem Listing.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, yes I was comparing it to that and the fact that this stone has a darker background to accentuate the “green” when removed is quite colorless.

1 Like

Good morning every one. so that is a thought that had crossed my mined, thaw because of there rarity and the colour indifference I had my droughts, as they Are so rear you hardly ever get to see them. In my 23years of gemmology I have only ever seen 4 of thees incredible gems! It was a real treat to have seen one on the forum and I can’t wait to hear all the questions and answers to come. There are so few of these gems available on the market and in the world they are as rear if not more rear than emeralds and diamonds. As a garnet lover I am over joyed to know that they are making a name for them selfs as they are perfect for an engagement ring, or a token gift sake for lovers that can spear the buck for such a gem, they represent the rarity of finding the one! and as rear as that is in life, is as rear as the gem its self is. As it is with damanotid / leuco garnet and with tsavorite these three garnets are the embodiment of that notion of rear finds in life to fined gem quality gems is rear in its Owen as it is to find gem quality minerals. With there durability representing the strength and durability of the meaning of love and commitment. Garnets are amazing gems with so many meanings for each different runoff of the family as there are many colours and crosses like Orchids or Tulips they can intermingle and create new types and colours. There is a differ meaning and short story for every one. (“We as humans should take a lesson from that grate Evolutionary leap into the future world” ).

1 Like

Good morning everyone. So that is a thought that crossed my mind, though because of their rarity and colour indifference, I had my doubts, as they are so rare and you hardly ever get to see them. In my 23 years of gemolgy I have only ever see four of these incredible gems! It was a real treat to have seen one in the forum and I cant wait to see all the questions and answers to come. There are so few of these gems available on the market because they are so rare, if not more rare than emeralds and diamonds. As a garnet lover I am overjoyed to know that they are making a name for themselves as they are perfect for an engagement rings or as a token giftsake for lovers who can spare a buck for such a gem. They represent the rarity of finding the one, which in life is as rare as the gem itself. Together with demantoid, leuco garnets and tsavorite’s, these garnets are the embodiment of that notion of a rare find of gem quality minerals. Their durablity represents the strength and meaning of love and commitment. Garnets are amazing gems with such different varieties and colours and just like with orchids or tulips, they can intermingle and create new types and colours. There is a different meaning and shorty story for each one. (we as humans should take a lesson from that great evolutionary leap to the future world.)

1 Like

Does it fluoresce? A 395 to 405nm light would be better than 365nm uva light. If you have access to one. :thinking:

Funny you should ask, I have just purchased two UV lights the 365 and 395 which should arrive in the next week, I will put them on the Gem and let you know. Would fluoresce exclude it from being called a Leuco?

No, not that know of, I’ve a few half Leuco/Tsavotites, that fluoresce, I was just curious, but even with that slight tint in the stone, I can’t think why it wouldn’t/couldn’t be a Leuco. Nice find.
This might, or might not, be worth a read Grossular Garnets

2 Likes

I just thought with the slight tint/hint of green then it’s not really colorless but I am no expert. Any idea what it would be worth? It’s 1.01ct.

I don’t understand the attraction. I love garnets- so many varieties- but this looks like a very boring stone that is essentially colorless. It appears to be cut well but rarity does not imply desirability to me. What am I missing? And it’s extremely small. May be desirable to a collector.

I think it’s because I do love garnets that I wanted this stone. I am trying to get the whole Kaleidoscope of colors and I tend to deal in stones that you can’t find at a regular Jewellers. Like Alex, Pads, Color-Change Blue garnets and the like. I also only have a limited budget and buy the best stone for the price that I can afford, hence only being 1.01ct. The video used to purchase this stone actually shows great scintillation. Although this macro is pretty boring it gave me a good idea of the inclusions.

You’re right! It’s a grossular and they have great brilliance and dispersion- just the pic- garnets fascinate me!

1 Like

I didn’t mean to be rude- I learned about a new garnet! They don’t have to be big to be grand! Enjoy!

1 Like

Not rude at all mate. I know the pic is boring LOL but better to be boring and informative than spectacular and deceptive. :smiley:

I have run both the 365 and the 395 lights over the garnet and it fluoresces an orangy pink :slight_smile: