Why is tourmaline so popular?

Hello friends. I would like to start a discussion for my own education on why tourmaline is so popular. In my experience tourmaline gemstones are often underwhelming in color and lacking optical performance compared to other stones. They are very frequently muddied in tone and lacking in brilliance and surface luster. I rarely ever see glimmers of dispersion from even well cut custom gems.

with alot of gems the rarity is what gets people i think

I do agree with your comment on lacking optical performance. BUT, I would disagree with your observation concerning color. I have recently found some Tourmaline that is loupe clean, exquisitely cut and saturated with the most beautiful colors…at 1/10 of the price of a similarly clean, colorful sapphire.

I love sapphires for many reasons, but mostly for their range in color. But, i but i used to be able to buy a 1 ct. sapphire for pocket change (literally less than $50) 2 decades ago that are selling wholesale for $500 now. They are just ridiculously expensive for even tiny stones. (My definition of tiny is less than 1 ct.).

The tourmalines i recently bought are all bettween 1.5 and 2.5 carats, so still fairly small, but super clean and are amazing in color: Of course, beautiful clear pinks, vivid apricot, deep rose red, and even one in a gorgeous mid green, just a hair this side of mint…all of them between $40 and $180. So, thats my answer. COLOR. I just dont see the variety in any other reasonably priced stone.

1 Like