Which Microscope

Hi everyone,

I’m new to geology and I have a difficult decision to make. It’s difficult because I’m on a tight buget and the time has come where I have to have a microscope.

I have seen many on line and I have narrowed it down to two options.

1. Optigem-20 which is the topend I would be able to afford, and I would have to make considerable sacrifice on other tools.
  1. AmScope 3.5X-90X Jewelry Gem Stereo Microscope + Dual Halogen + 14MP Camera from ebay

It’s cheaper, better magnification, better wide angle eye piece, better working distance, camera included.

It does not have the nice possibility to be turned into a submerge scope like the Optigem.

Is the trade off for for being able to do submerged gem analysis justified?

Is there a way to do submerged gem analysis on a regular Gemological microscope like the AmScope?

Thank you for your opinion and help.

Johann

Hello Johann.

If you want quality you should go for the Optika.

If you want quality AND immersion you can check out Krüss microscopes. I have one myself and i am very satisfied with it.

If you take the Amscope you will have to pay customs and vat if you are living in Europe.

Best regards
Pierre

1 Like

Thank you very much Pierre.

The Krüss Scope looks very good.
The one I want is 1.5k ontop of the Optica.
I probably go for the optica as I would be able to bild it up to be an immersion scope.

I do belive that your eye pieces have are 30mm if I’m right. I would love to have them on the Optica.

It’s good to know what’s on the market which is very difficult because ist not a common sector.

I still wonder if there is a way to do immersion testing without a purpose build microscope.

Johann

It is possible to do immersion without the expensive microscope. You just have to get a Petri bowl and you will do just fine with it. I started with a Petri and a common microscope. A Konus Diamond that worked great.

1 Like

That sounds good.
Will I have any problems with reflections?

Johann

I didnt have any problems with reflections. Just remember to keep your oil clean. The only issue is that it is hard to rotate the stone.

2 Likes

Johann,
There are people who want the best and don’t understand gemology yet. There are others who master the principles of gemology and let that guide their purchases. Dr. Hannemann, one of the pioneers of innovation in gemology used to say that the more gemology you knew, the fewer instruments you needed to make decisions. If I were you I would first get a copy of Hanneman’s book, Affordable Gemology, in which he talks about ways to produce a dark field with a loupe, etc. My first gemological microscope cost me $325. It was a B&L microscope with a glass stage and a mirror underneath for which I rigged a darkfield illuminator which I still have from a transformer and a halogen headlight bulb, a chrome bowl and a black flag to cover the direct light. Pretty much any illuminated stage can be turned into passable dark field with a suitable washer to provide the aperture and a disk below it to block the direct light. Nowadays we have cool LED lights instead of that hot halogen and the color temperature is much better, too.

Looking at ebay today I see numerous older zoom microscope for under $500. You could easily rig an LED light underneath, and buy a third hand tweezer if the scope does not have one. Any suitable small vessel serves to immerse your sample. LIttle gooseneck LED lights and an LED ringlight increase your lighting choices. A few months ago I sold a 7X to 30X B&L head to someone for $150. A set of WF 10X eyepieces ought to run about $40 or less.

Currently I happen to have an older Gemolite V GIA scope because I found one with a bad head and a busted diaphragm for $300 and replaced the diaphragm for $30 and put a different AO 7x to 45x head on it. The old halogen bulb was replaced with a cool LED bulb.

If you have $1500 and are not able to rig things, you can go with one of the scope you mention. However, you would learn a lot about inclusions and lighting if you merely got a simple stereo scope with a direct illuminator underneath or one with a mirror base to which you could attach a penight flashlight. Side lighting with those little gooseneck lamps gives you endless flexibility and you will find one or another angle that highlights what you are looking at. The LED ringlights are cheap, $25, and they add another dimension. You can learn to take pictures with your phone and a macro eyepiece or use it through one of the eyepieces of a stereo microscope.

A lot depends on whether you have more money or more time. If you saved $1000 on your scope, you could easily spend $500 of that on your spectroscope, refractometer, dichroscope, fillters, etc. You probably would not need to go over $1000 total for a complete gem lab. This is all assuming you need gemology tools and not a polarizing microscope, etc. for metallurgy, geology, etc.

I hope this is helpful.
-royjohn

2 Likes

Thank you very much.
This is very helpful.

I already placed an order for the scope. It just means I have to work hard to make the money back.

Johann

Hello again, Johann,
I don’t want to drive you crazy with rants, but I do see that US ebay has two GIA diamond grading microscope for $488 each. These have a similar base to the vintage Gemolite scopes. The head gives 10X and 30X and a 2X booster, I think. You would have to query this seller to be sure, but the setup seems to be the same as that which fits the old squarish B&L heads, which are easy to pick up for about $200 or so. So you would have a set of 10X WF eyepieces and 10, 20, 30 and 60X and you could later upgrade to 7X to 60X, which is all you would ever need. Even if you bought another head, you’d still be under $700 with this purchase. You would have to be certain that it is certified as working, because you would want to return it if it did not work and that would depend on it being “not as described.” At any rate, I think if you waited, you would find that these come up for sale from time to time. The optics on the old AO and B&Ls are very good, as good as the imports produced today, I would guess…they were certainly good enough for GIA back in the day and the original retail on a Gemolite was about $4500 in 1990 dollars. Hope this is useful info for you and others. -royjohn

1 Like

Wow, I wish I had waited now.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I’m very happy that there are still some people like you on the planet.

Johann

Great topic and dialogue here @Pierre. @royjohn - your knowledge is indispensable, thanks for all the good info. I have a question also… Because it was available and at the right price I just purchased a (vintage) Nikon SMZ-2T. While I’ve been collecting for many decades and studying gem localities and history I’ve never sat down to look more closely at my collection. I have the time now. Whether this unit was designed to be more suitable for one use or another I’d like to tweak it a bit for the specific purpose. As it stands, the optics are factory. Up to 6.3 zoom (on the dials) with a set of 10x/23 eyepieces. On a specification site I found this:

Auxiliary objectives and eyepieces extend the magnification range for the stereo zoom microscope from 5x to about 416x. However, if a 0.5 or 0.7x auxiliary objective is installed, the working distance increases and an extension ring or pillar is required to achieve a satisfactory focusing distance.

As with anything I started with a good cleaning. I am lucky this unit is not beat up at all that I can see, used yes, but the lens surfaces are without scratches and now all wiped down clean. I can admit also that getting used to looking through it takes a few days as well as removing the original halogen light (bit of a beast) but easily removed which now allows using the mirror underneath through the now hollow back base with any kind of modern beam/spot light that I can rig.

My question is: Should I be concerned about the power at this point? It’s certainly a different and fantastic world using a microscope. Also, as with any binocular we face the pupillary distance factor and these have independent (movable) and adjustable eyepieces so that takes a bit of tuning to get near comfortable. Where would you recommend starting if I wanted an increased magnification? It looks like replacement eyepieces are simply the easiest to install but some have their own diopter adjustments which may be appealing but may be a mistake. AmScope seems to have a good selection up to 30x I’m a bit lost on how that works. Is the 10x what I already have (6.5 becomes 60ish X) means 30x = 180???
Another quote from elsewhere in IGS

How Much Magnification do You Need? You can identify most gems with just 40 power . However, you can’t identify all gems without more magnification. While 80 power has long been considered adequate, new and higher quality synthetics sometimes require even more magnification.

Case in point. When I look at the photos online of tiny elements (inclusions, gas bubbles, rutile…) and I look at some of those in my specimens I feel like I may be losing out on the magnification with the limits of what I have acquired. Beyond AmScope do you have a goto source for different options. I know we can buy used on ebay and other marketplaces but know what to go after is the key. The eyepieces on this unit are 30mm.

Thanks for any suggestions or clarification you may provide.

Stuart

The manual, which you may already have, is here:

The second page gives the magnification table and it looks
like you can get up to 63X with what you have. If I’m remembering right
from my GIA gemologist training (1996), for some stones 60X to see the
flame fusion synthetic curved striae may be needed. As far as beyond
that, I wouldn’t worry about it until I had made sure I could use it well.

It looks like you have the model with the port for a camera to take photos
of inclusions, so that is good. I would figure a way to add on a gem tweezer
like on the gemological microscopes so you could have your hands free
and easily position your rough the way you want it. When you get up to
the higher powers (which you won’t really use very much) the depth of
field is so shallow that you can’t hold the stone still enough. The tweezers
should rotate and possibly go up and down a little. They are available cheap
on Ebay ($12-15??) and you can glue the base to the scope or tape it if
you think you’ll be moving it.

I would look for an LED replacement lamp for the overhead light fixture. It is
probably a bayonet mount and there are LEDs in that mount available. Decide
what color temperature you want, which is only important when you go to color
grading. I went with daylight because that’s what Gemworld International’s
Guide uses for color grading, altho’ this is perhaps splitting hairs…

Before you go off buying another set of eyepieces or the auxilliary add-on objective,
I would look at photos of inclusions for the naturals and synthetics that you are
interested in and see what magnification they used. Those photos are for teaching
purposes, so you perhaps don’t need quite that much if all you need is a visual ID,
but it is going to be in that range.

Spend some hours with the scope and if/when you feel comfy with it and can see
stuff by turning and changing the lighting, then you can find a small immersion
fluid cell, which could be a baby food jar or similar or an actual purpose-built
immersion cell. If you use a hand tweezer, you can probably rest the rough item
on the bottom of the cell and turn it various ways pretty easily. I have not done a
lot of this myself, but ask me in a few weeks, because I’m getting very serious
about evaluating rough and that means immersion fluid and low power (7 to 15X,
mostly)…just to get close to “eye clean” in the finished stones if possible. For the fluid,
use benzyl benzoate, which is pretty non-toxic and works well for most species
from quartz to the garnets.

You may want to fiddle around to get something approximating dark field
illumination at some point, but if you’ve read Hanneman’s book, he tells about that
and I’m not sure it’s necessary for rough evaluation. Use a frosted plate, though,
because you don’t want the light blasting at you. You might want to get a diaphragm
to close down the light, but you could accomplish this with a set of washers or even
paper washers which fit the diameter of the light. Or get creative with that. If you got
the hole in the washer up off the stage, you could rest your rough in the hole. With
the immersion cell, you could set it right on the stage on top of any stopped down
circle, or see if something elevated would work better…I’m not sure. Another option
is a small LED light or two on a flexible stalk, kind of like the fiber optic illuminators,
but much cheaper and probably will work OK. Think Dollar Tree on this.

Just use my email address and Paypal me the consulting fee on this, I’m at
$100/hr, but I’ll discount to $50 for you. Once again, help, I’m talking about
gemology and can’t shut up.
-royjohn