What gems can and can not be put in rhodium solution?

Anyone have a list?

What is the reaction/damage from?

Obviously emeralds can lose treatment and pearls can be eaten by the acid, but I know that tanzanite and peridot can come out looking ‘frosted’ and need repolishing after a short period in the solution, while jadeite and kunzite seem to be fine… so I don’t think it’s an issue of hardness (but of course, could be wrong)

Thanks in advance!

Softer gemstones such as peridot,topaz, turquoise, coral and treated or heavily included rubies and emeralds can be damaged during the process. Diamonds and hard gemstones like sapphires and rubies are hardy enough to withstand rhodium plating.
I found this information at Top 12 Things You Need to Know About Rhodium Plating (FAQs)

1 Like

My advice when it comes to Rhodium treatments is to remove the stones just to be sure. IF the stone has inclusions that reach the surface they can react with the solution and the solution might est itself into the stone.

Regards
Pierre

1 Like

There was a recent article on using a common fingernail clipper as a prong lifter to remove gemstones. A soft prong pusher can be improvised from any wooden or plastic rod, such as the handle of a tooth brush. With stone removal from most settings being so easy, I don’t know why folks would trust their valuable stones to a rhodium plating bath. Are you going to take someone’s word for what will happen from this forum and then find out different? Take the stone out and put it back later. It’s only in cases of channel setting or pave’ where you’d be unable to do this easily. -royjohn

1 Like