Value of Ruby cut from a rock

Hello : ) 4 years ago I was in Gatlinburg, TN and visited a store that sells buckets of rocks. I bought one and found a large “ruby” rock. I had it cut and now have a beautiful ruby. It is a 10.4 carat, Emerald cut, 12mm x 10mm. However, not one jeweler will appraise it. I don’t understand why…if it’s worth nothing, then so be it. I can post the photo if necessary. I would love to know what it’s worth is and why all the jewelers refused to appraise it. Thank you kindly : )

post photo’s thanks.

Most often jewellers just buy and sell jewellery. Specialized equipment is necessary these days to assess rubies. You need an appraiser or to send it to a Gem laboratory for assessment. This service will cost you probably a few hundred dollars but well worth the outlay especially if you want to sell it. No one wants to buy uncertified rubies these days, too many treatments, and synthetics out there.

1 Like

I was going to post the photos with the text but I couldn’t figure out how to get them from my phone to this site. I promise to try again tomorrow : )

Thank you for this information. It makes a lot of sense. Sending it to a lab seems the way to go. Hopefully, I’ll be able to post the photos tomorrow. Thank you!