Transparent emerald green nephrite

Hi,
I have some very beautiful emerald green jade (nephrite on the density) it does have good transparency though which I believe is very unusual for nephrite. It is being cut at the moment and I intend to make some jewellery from it. Has anyone come across transparent nephrite jade… have to say I find it rather annoying that nephrite is now below jadeite being the original jade lol… probably more so because I have some. The colour though would be comparable to Imperial jade. Because of the very saturated colour and the transparency I am struggling to put a value on it… any ideas welcomed as long as they don’t hurt! Do not have a pic at this stage as the rough is at the cutters but will try to add one as should have a couple of cabs shortly. But hoping one of you guys have experience of the same. Thanks Chris

Do you know the source of the material? Asia, Canada, US, Russia??

Hi,
Yes it is Asia

Nephrite is a rock comprising mostly massive microcrystalline to cryptocrystalline felted amphiboles of the tremolite - actinolite series. Due to the physical structure of nephrite, it can never be transparent. Highly translucent, yes, transparent, no.

Thank you for the reply. I understand what jade is and perhaps I phrased it wrong. The stone is definitely nephrite and I should have said very semi transparent, and is a very nice emerald green. You can see print through a thin slice ot the material.
Chris

I am no jade expert, but I am a gemologist. Once you have those cabochons, get a very careful refractive index reading and even a spectrum reading. Basic gemological tools will suffice, and someone with a G.G. who has stayed in practice can probably do it. Then if that lines up with the specific gravity (density) result you got before being polished, you have a solid answer.

Hi,
Specific Gravity is Nephrite the confusion I have is the level of transparency which is not usual in nephrite it is imperial jade colour and would be comparible in transparency to Jadeite, Thank you for your answer though.
Chris

While doing some research on another subject last night, I came across a reference to a transparent Jade from Mexico circa the Aztec era. Sorry, no more info than that.

Thank you. Well the Nepphrite did cut okay with a level of tranlucency… I just tested what i thought was the sister to it and it has tested as Jadeite which is being cut and has amazing transparency and fantastic colour. I have always worked with coloured gems and only recently had the opportunity to deal with some Jade which I have found extremely fascinating. I will try when the two types are finished to post some pictures of the pieces. i have some designs done and will try alos to post those when the time comes. I believe these pieces will be quite spectacular.