Thoughts on these...’jades’?

Just curious for your opinions on these! I’ve looked at so many jades/simulants ive baffled myself really

Join the club, I have baffled myself too. Will follow this discussion to learn. Ever heard of black jade?

to weigh in, I have some “black jade” I think it came from Wyoming. I slab it very thin and use it for backing for doublets (opal or ammolite)

I also have some beautiful lavender jade from Turkey

I just got a book on jade and jadeite, so learning this as well

I have looked at these photos and although I am no expert on jade, I would think all those pieces are dyed quartzite
except for the piece that may be agate/carnelian
just my thoughts

The thing I find interesting in your question is the word ‘jades’ in quotes. That is usually used in the trade to mean that the stone is something other than Jadeite or Nephrite, usually dyed Quartz or Serpentine, often intergrown with other minerals. These don’t look like Serpentine. It is very difficult to tell from pictures, but one thing I can safely say is that they appear to be dyed. You can see a peppering of deeper color in pits on the surface and collected near the holes. Otherwise, the white with minty green streaks could be Jadeite. The orange, I agree with SydP, looks like Carnelian or dyed Agate. The last specimen doesn’t look at all like jade, more like a quartz with hair-like inclusions and very crackled. There is such a thing as black Jadeite, but there are a lot of imitations for that also.

Hi Lottied, yes I agree with you thoughts, on your last point, re black jadeite, I posted photo’s of a cab of black jadeite jade on 5th Feb, but no one has responded to my post. I cut and polished a cab from a rough piece I purchased in Mae Sot Thailand on the border of Myanmar. it is natural black jadeite jade which if I am to understand there is very little if any coming out of Myanmar/Burma anymore see post
thanks.

Black jadeite is usually from Guatemala, yes? :thinking:

Hi Wendy, you need to have a look at this website and some of the youtube videos in relation to Rare Imperial Translucent Black Omphacite Jadeite jade from Burma. this is the same Black Jadeite I purchased in Mae Sot

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwnxJF3xfbmrTdIy5bDwo4g

thanks

Oh, lookie there. Sorry, I placed my comment in the wrong place. It was in response the question from @Shaa “Ever hear of black Jade?” Apparently the black jadeite from Guatemala gained popularity amongst designers and buyers around 20 years ago. Black is more common in nephrite.

Looks like there is one good piece of Jadeite in your bunch, can’t say with certainty with pictures though. I agree with lottied that they all look dyed…or in Jadeite cases normally impregnated with colored polymers…
Jadeite and Nephrite had me hooked at a young age. My grandmother and grandfather are to blaim for that. I was really close with my grandparents and spent a huge amount of time with them growing up. My grandfather was a 30 yr. navy vet and 20 yr merchant marine vet…he spent many years stationed in China…over 5 yrs if memory serves correct. He’d sometimes be gone for months at a time, but every time he would return, he would return with gifts of Nephrite and Jadeite pieces for my grandmother, my mother, and myself. Mine were usually simple carvings. Sometimes in white or dark green icey nephrite,the rest of the time in Jadeite of a variety of different colors. My grandmogther was the true lover of jade…i go see you would have called her a collector and loved both nephrite and Jadeite. I had a small collection developing too. I still have a few pieces that my grandfather gave me as a child. My collection today is over 1000 pieces of authentic Jadeite and nephrite pieces. Grandma gave me her collection when she passed, and that’s when it really took off for me. I now am not only a collector, but also an investor of Jadeite, nephrite & rare gemstones going on 8 years now. It’s an ever changing industry that keeps you on your toes always learning something new, right when you tbought you had it all figured out. If I’m online anytime you are buying “Jades” you can reach out, and I will do my best to advise you on anything you have questions about. Hopefully I’ll have an answer.:grin:

Hi,

Thank you for your post! I do have a question for you if you are back online at some point. I have started collecting older works in jadeite and nephrite based on their cultural connotations and imagery. I am wondering where I can find some academically-sound information on how and why these materials may naturally change in color over time. (I’ve read this but have not found a substantial article on the topic anywhere.) If so, is this a well-known quality of the material, and does the change appear obvious to an individual owner over time, especially in earlier eras as far back as the Neolithic period. I’m primarily concerned about natural color changes, but I’m also wondering how far back the practice of enhancing colors with dyes went. Is it just a new modern practice, or was it done in much earlier eras too? If you can recommend a good source for me to read, that would be wonderful help.

Thanks!
Deborah

Well you have hit my curiosity bone and am going to do a little research, and possibly reach out to a colleague of mine. I’ve only known treated jadeite and nephrite’s changing color after being mined, but I have never looked into natural fading of grade A jadeite/nephrite. Let me get back to you. I’m not positive, but I believe 100% natural untreated or “Grade A” jades will not change color, other than loosing luster over the years maybe. I’ll get back to you.