Synthetic? Beryl

I came across of rough in my random collection of some items known in high detail other, honestly I have, had to rely on my sloothing experience to provide an answer. But I have one I am stumped on, it is perfectly transparent faint glow in a violet or pink under black light, thing that gets me is it’s hardness. First instinct is that this piece was quartz from the the clarity, and concoidial fracture but it is harder than all the varieties I have, (amethyst, rock crystal, flints and agate, nothing, they don’t touch it, then with beryls, still really nothing, then some saphires give the scratch, I expected the beryls would provide if it was a quartz. I have bought multiple small parcels of beryls to learn and developers my faceting skills, but I do not remember this piece, to me it is a striking piece and will make a very nice finished stone, but I wrote if off as quartz so was not in a hurry to work on. But now I am stumped, it just seems to good a piece of morganite or geothite, aside form topaz what else could I be looking at with an 8 hardness, could it be synthetic? What other test can I do without much for specialized equipment.

[poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=3]

• Quartz
  • Berly
  • Synthetic
    [/poll]

Sorry all for the poor spelling an grammar. I hope despite my writing there is enough there to get a few people’s thoughts, thank you all for taking the time.

First thing I would do is To measure specific gravity.

Yeah thank i was hesitant to do an SG because. I was not sure I would be able to achieve any real accuracy, and the range of Qtz at 2.65 s.g. and beryl @ 2.67 to 2.87 s.g. in the reference I have.

The stone measured at 3.09 s.g. so not Qtz probally noy Beryl, at this point I am falling on Danburite. Thanks all. I appreciate the extra push to do the s.g. Very helpful and diagnostic. It even matches the pic in a favorite reference.

From your write up it seems that you have the ability to polish a flat on the piece and take an RI. The piece also looks like it would fit into a polariscope to see if it is doubly or singly refractive, which can rule out possible contenders (like man-made non-crystalline glass). From the facts given … my guess is Phenakite. Colorless stones and black stones can be the toughest to Identify. I hope my input helps. ;))

What is the absorption spectrum?