Slicing rough corundum stones

can a ceramic tile slicer cut a sapphire ?

Hi you need a gemstone trim saw like this with a small diamond blade

Thanks. Is it possible to use a ceramic tile saw with a heavy diamond blade ? With water cooling ?

I have never actually done either so my advice is not really worth much, but a guy in Michigan who had a really nice diamond trim saw told me that yes, if you have a different kind of diamond saw blade that is water cooled (and that is very important because the water is also used as a lubricant), you can use even a rotary tool type thing for small stones if it is held in a vise.

But remember this is third-hand information from someone who has never actually done either.

Thanks for your help. I am sure you have a very good idea about good advice on gem work.
TomC

Is “a small diamond blade” a thin diamond blade or a small diameter diamond blade ??
Thanks
Tom C

Hi TomC go to this website and you can see what is available you need a small thin blade for slicing gemstone of small size such as sapphire

SydP
Thanks much. This is a very good help.
TomC

A Tile saw with a Diamond blade can but a Tile Break ( no way)- Mike

One thing to remember when cutting stones with a THIN diamond blade is to feed the stone slowly, because if you try to go fast the blade will warp and wander in the stone. Don’t be afraid to use plenty of water, by drip method if possible, The water is NOT a lubricant but is a coolant!!