Semi precious stones

Can’t figure out what kind of semi precious stones that I have necklace dark purple and gliders beautiful with 925 chain to latch it what can I do I’m just a beginner.

1 Like

Hi Katherine
Post a picture in natural light

1 Like

JCBell, I was reading the article about precious and semi precious stones and then today about the Rubies and I have a Ruby that was appraised several years ago and I took it to a gem show and the guy that I showed it to said that it was way over appraised but everything that I see it’s a natural untreated ruby and they appraised it at $4700 it was appraised by Ben Bridges, so it’s not like it was some second rate place nobody’s heard of. I will try to post a pic

1 Like

Looks like a good stone, are you trying to sell?

1 Like

As a Pro im sure you know appraisals are always so high. I guess it drpends on how much he thought the stone was over appraised at.

Can indeed be a Ruby but to know with certainty you will have to pass refractometer, polariscope, and microscope to see if it is natural, glass filled or lead filled to be short if it is treated or heated. It puts the price according. Bring it to a lab like GIA or in Belgium you have IGI or ALGT very accepted labs on gemstone market

Good luck!!!

1 Like

To be told at a Gem Show that a gemstone was “over appraised” is like the used car salesman saying your trade-in isn’t worth the Kelly Blue Book value. They are trying to negotiate a lower price, so they can increase their profit margin, if they purchased it from you.

On the other side of the coin, Ben Bridges will appraise a fair value but will be on the lower end of the value for the same reason.

Do you still have the appraisal document from B.B.?