Salt and pepper diamonds

What does everyone think of salt and pepper diamonds?

At least you know that they are not man made. ;))))

2 Likes

What a person thinks is personal, and people don’t need to agree…

I don’t like them. They look “dirty” instead of being a beautiful natural crystal. I’d want nothing eye-visible at a comfortable focal distance. I’d rather pay more and get a diamond with much better clarity. It would probably cost more than a “little more” because a stone of better clarity will likely have more time invested into a better cut and polish.

But, there are a lot of people in this world and someone will enjoy the character of the stones or enjoy their lower price.

1 Like

I personally like them. I think they have character. I have a rose cut one and I know I’m not going to get that sparkle associated with a fine diamond. It was very affordable and different and I’ve always loved different. I would never be able to afford a great diamond. I appreciate your views and I’m sure most will agree with you. They’re definitely not for everyone!!

I enjoy s&p diamonds more than diamonds of high clarity, which I find personally boring and ubiquitous. I’m not crazy about purchasing them online, because the reputable dealers tend not to bother with them, and that drives up the risk always. There are the odd “gray” dealers here and there who I’ve bought a few from because I liked the patterns in that specific stone.

Maybe I’m odd, but I prefer my natural stones to be something that’s appealing to me, but not considered “perfect” for the stone, because if I wanted loupe clean ideal color, there are millions of lab grown stones that fit the bill. I prefer unique and interesting through a loupe if I’m going for natural.

Good question, Lots of inclusions, doesn’t that in itself make the diamond weak and brittle? I have mixed feelings about them myself, I almost feel as though they are a fad, I guess use them so nothing is wasted, but I would be scared myself accidentally hitting it on something and causing it to shatter, yes they are probably less expensive compared to more of a standard 4 C’s diamonds, but if it something you may wear every day, like a wedding ring, I would think you might want to go with better quality. I would have to say I like clearer and clean diamonds.

99% of them look terrible, but the ones that look nice, are pretty impressive.

One of the biggest problems is that they rarely have clean surfaces, and nobody loves gems with pitting in them…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

1 Like

I bought this one because I thought there was an image of a lady in the 1800’s era
Diamond (1) Right side of center

2 Likes

I agree that S&P Diamonds, along with black Diamonds, are a personal choice and I don’t care for either of them.

I am older and have been purchasing jewelry for over 30 years. In the early 80’s when I learned about the 4 C’s, they would have never shown a stone with so many inclusions, other than as an example of what inclusions look like, because they were considered to be of very poor quality. This train of thought has stayed with me through to today so neither of those stones are appealing to me. I would buy a black spinel over a black diamond any day.

I just feel like someone saw how much included material was being discarded and decided to see if there was market for it, so they faceted the included material and gave it a creative name, but for me, they will always be highly included stones.

Well, for years, diamonds have been synonymous with engagement rings. Many contemporary brides agree that there’s no other gem that captures the essence of this cherished occasion better. After all, diamonds are forever. However, many also consider white diamonds engagement rings to be quite a cliche and are on the lookout for an alternative that’s less expensive yet exquisitely speaks to the couple. This has led to the popularity of certain speckled diamonds with black and white inclusions known as salt and pepper diamonds, which are essentially diamonds with a hint of zest.

I’m personally bored with Diamonds. I just don’t find them interesting. They are also expensive because of the cartel that controls the supply of Diamonds. If I’m going to get a crystal clear diamond for whatever reason I prefer buying synthetic diamonds. Synthetic Diamonds are decent value for money, have excellent clarity, are usually exceptionally cut (the ones I buy are precision cut hearts and arrow type diamonds).

If I’m going to get a natural diamond, I prefer ones that look interesting. Salt and Pepper diamonds are all unique, just like colored gemstones. You will not find two that look alike. We buy salt and pepper diamonds from gem cutters we deal with in India and Italy. they are well cut and polished and have very interesting patterns and make lovely jewelry as well.

Different strokes for different folks. We have a number of clients that like the look of Salt and Pepper Diamonds, so who am I not to sell them to them.