Ringwoodite

Ok so i know what everyone everywhere else will say but here i feel like you will be willing to consider the possibility that i have found woodringite. The peoce is so small my digital scale cant seem to give me a specific gravity my dry weight is always between 0.00 and 0.05 and thats the most digits i get. Wet using distilled water i got 0.06 and 0.07 bit this peice sinks in water so i am thinking its a shit scale.

It has a cubic structure but beyond that I have no idea what to do to test it.

Please l need advice so i dont get a million people saying that its glass. Also i do have things that show significant geological history in basalt cambrian limestone
Pegmatite and giant clear colorless feldspar.

My area also is known for silicate with a high iron and magnesium composition

1 Like
  WOW!!! What a fascinating specimen. Great opportunity for research. Can you get a R.I. reading on it? I'd treat it like an opal due to its water content and not expose it to heat/ sunlight. But I'd see if it were magnetic and reacted under UV light. (Both non-destructive)

How did you obtain it???

I have many tools that I…does know how to use properly so i dont know i can keep it out of heat and light.

I have 2 very small peices found in a area with GIANT mica and feldspar as well as pegmatite.

I am not yet convinced it isn’t something else like glass but if not… i have it and so much more. Because I have nearly every color of the rainbow and large amounts in clear most in perfect squares and i know it is how the clear is structured but … what is the chance. Most people dont look at it twice because it looks like glass but i noticed a shimmer at night And uv light reaction in the few i tested i even found one i thought was black and then the deepest purple showed through.

My area was estimated in the geological survey because it could not be scanned. I have also noticed a discrepancy in the information vs the history being handed out about the formation of the area.

Being where i am i highly suspect someone well respected got it wrong and no one questioned it so the false narrative became truth. But i am so new and have no professional experience so im not the one to know or listen to. To the people here im still an outsider after 8 years in this town. And the people feed on caddie gossip and ignorance. I truly believe no one has looked down in the 70+ year’s since homes were built here most on their 2nd owners.

Blue in natural light

In uv

Purple in natural light

In uv

Backlit

Many of the best mineral experts will be attending the Hard Rock Summit tradeshow this weekend in Denver. If you can attend, look up “Collectors Edge” and/or “Arkenstone” (among many others) for expert identification.

Sadly I can’t i am on ssdi since the age of 36 and I dont travel well. :cry:

Ah, shucks. Try contacting “Collectors Edge” https://collectorsedge.com/ and see if they can assist. I’ve known them for eons and they’re good people.

Thanks so much! This is a huge help im trying to not jump to conclusions because i have a lot of every color except purple blue and yellow

I have 2 shades of blue 3 shades of green a number of red/brown
A black that may be magnitite and a mass of perfect clear cubes i separated what looks like glass and it doesn’t do anything under uv the clear cubes go pink/purple

others feel greasy and are likely feldspar i have been collecting them for a while i plan on selling them as Alice’s tears to fund my non profit We Are Alice.

Its a healing program for people recovering from narcissistic abuse child abuse and neglect. The idea is to expose the problem but protect the individual.

The healing process is not easy you feel like alice stepping into wonderland nothing makes sense. You want to tell your story but with autonomy. Well because we all have the same stories its not really about who tells the story because we all are alice. What’s important is how many of us there are.

Not Ringwoodite. This mineral is not naturally occurring on the Earth’s surface. It has been made in a high temperature / high pressure piston cyclinder apparatus that can mimic the temperature and pressure of 600 km below the Earth’s surface. The only Ringwoodite found on the surface has been in meteorites associated areas with shock metamorphism. From your description, your location probably would not be at a plate tectonic boundary or a “hot spot”, which are the only likely places on Earth that material from that depth could possibly make it to the surface.

1 Like

I di not live near a fault

I do live where plate tectonics made the stacked mess that is the Appalachians but also a tension rift valley.

1 Like

I also did not claim it was i was asking WHAT IT COULD BE. I fully stated that I would believe some was glass but

it was all found in an area about 6×75’ in a line most focused in an area 2×25’

the peices are fairly uniform in size but shapes are more similar in like color.

Colors are in a variety of:
purple (2 peices) 2 shades

blue 2 shades(5 peices)

orange/red many shades at least 5 i can see

yellow 1 shade (2 peices)

green at least 3 shades

and clear

thicknesses do not change the shade

Figured it out I think

One of the nearby querys has Sphalerite crystal.

Holy shit

Ok so 2 blocks away

agree completely… other than shock metamorphism, which is really extraterrestrial, there is no earth process that will bring ringwoodite to the surface, except as a high pressure inclusion in diamond. In the mantle transiition zone, at 440 to 660 km depth, pyrolite spinel is crushed into pervoskite cubic closest packing strtucure from a spinel structure, along with majorite which has a garnet structure. Silicon undergoes a pressure induced transformation from 4 to 6 fold coordination below the transition zone… Post pervoskite, Bridgemanite is 6 fold and is stable to the core mantle boundary., Ted Ringwood was a pioneering Australian geophysicist and geochemist who did diamond avil experiments using germanium as a silicon analgue. He predicited that high pressure silicon phases would be found at the transition layer. Ringwoodite was named in his honor. What is most important about Ringwoodite is that it accomodates water. This is relevant to subduction zones where water and other fluids and volatiles enter the overlying mantle wedge as a flux and creates calcalkaline volcanism.