Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Refractometer analogue vs digital?

As a novice in the area, I want to buy one refractometer but I’m really in doubt about what I should do. I have seen many analogue models (American, European and Asian) and few digital, ranging considerably in cost and quality.

My questions:

• How to decide between analogue and digital?

• What factors should I consider during this process of evaluation to have the right instrument?

• Day in day out, what are the advantages and disadvantages you have encountered?

• Have you regretted with a purchase of an analogue or digital model/manufacturer?

Thanks for your help.

I stick with an analogue because without spending big money, digital refractometers have a limited ability to identify stones. I think the Presidium is 57

Hi Cal, what analogue have you got?
Tks

Analog refractometers are limited to a R.I. of 1.81 and that is with the use of a hazardous fluid, toxic even.
Digital refractometers have a range of 1.30 to 3.00, and use NO HAZARDOUS FLUIDS, and can read stones as small as 2mm, diamonds, CZ, Moissianite , anything you want to check, cabs are an occasional problem if mounted.
I have 3 digital units and check one against the other two if a spurious reading does occur. My oldest is a Gemeter 90 and it is the workhorse and is seldom in error, and it is 30 years old. I just change the battery every 6 months.