Pricing guide for non-Burmese rubies

Hi. I was hoping this place would have pricing guides for unheated rubies of different origins, e.g. Mozambique. This would be useful because these are more likely to appear in the market. Please can you point me in the direction of this because I paid for a subscription mainly for it. Or am I missing something or mistaken?

It also appears the pricing was last updated for rubies in 2015??? What’s going on here?

Hi Chris, I dont think the site provide the latest price information on non-Burmese rubies. I can provide you with my 2-cents on mozambique rubies. Mozambique rubies are getting more recognitions these days and its price has already rocketed in the past 2 years.(well the worldwide record inflation along with the demand for rubies driving the price up).

In April, a 4.02 unheated mozambique ruby and diamond ring from Catier was auctioned for about 241,000 USD by Sotheby’s and that was almost 60,000 per carat. In May, a 3.04 unheated Burmese ruby gold ring by no brand was auctioned for 225,000 USD by Christie’s and that was about 74,000 USD per carat. Another 6.05 unheated burmese ruby(with visible inclusions on the table) and diamond ring was sold for a whopping 640,000 USD per carat at the same auction by Christie’s. (bearing in mind that, the higher the carat is for precious stones, more premium will be added and above 5 carat stones are significantly more expensive because of the rare size for rubies)
Anyway I want to show you the price difference between mozambique and burmese ruby at the high-end of gem/jewlery business. And their huge price difference for now is my reason to believe that high-quality mozambique rubies have hugh potential in value appreciation in the future.

So back to your question, based on my own experience, for unheated good quality mozambique rubies(loose stones) around 1-2 carats, I would say they are not likely to be cheaper than 3000 USD per carat for now. Still, there are a lot of thing go into determing the retail price and this is a very very rough guiding price.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate your response. I have noticed a similar variance in values but wanted a more rounded view. It is also much harder to find top-quality Burmese rubies but quite easy to for Mozambique. now if the Mozambiques would have less iron in them for more fluorescence, that would be perfect!

My current rule of thumb is: whatever a Burmese ruby is priced at… halve the price and add 10% and you have a Mozambique. 1-3 carats. Am I off the mark there?

I would say that at B2B level for rubies below 2 carats, there is not much differences between mozambique and burmese ones when they have the similar quality. For mozambique rubies, if you have only encountered darker ones, my advise would be do not buy them and go look for better ones and trust me there are good mozambique rubies out there.

This is an example of a good quality mozambique ruby(unheated) in my opinion:) It may appear a bit dull and orangish on the screen(at least on my laptop screen…) but you don’t see that at all in the actual gem. vivid red throughout!

1 Like