Price Tables - Rough Rubies?

Hi. It’s not clear from the price tables whether these are prices for Cut or Rough Stones.

What is the rule of thumb for determining the Rough Ruby price?

I guess there is an allowance needed for material lost in cutting ( reduction in weight ).

What % deduction should I use to get to the Rough price?

Good question…I have been assuming rough form, since there’s no cuts listed except cabochons. I am betting for rough gem grades.

The prices given for rubies are for cushions and ovals. At the top of the price guide sub-sections for “Burma Rubies” and “Other Rubies,” there is information on percentages to add or deduct for other cuts. There is also a separate set of price guidelines for cabochon-cut rubies.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! So what is the difference between the prices of rough Ruby and these prices? 10%, 20% of the cost??? Is there a rule of thumb percentage price I can use to get back to the price for the rough stone?

Also does this pricing apply for Mozambique Ruby???

We don’t yet have specific price information on Mozambique rubies. Nor do we have a price guideline information for ruby rough. In general, there are too many variables for a rule of thumb or price guide for ruby rough.

Hi! I live close to the Thai-Burmese border and have dealt with rubies, sapphires and spinel. What I can tell about rough rubies is that the dealer knows what kind of carat yield a rough stone will bring a lot better than you do. So if you’re buying low grade rough rubies, yes they will be really cheap. But if you’re taking about top quality pigeon blood rubies from Mogok, forget about it, it’s about 4000 per carat for stones above 3 carats. You have to know what you’re doing, and you won’t get an incredible margin on one stone and turn out a great profit unless you already have a very willing buyer or, you already have your sales channels set up. If you want to buy mid-range rubies (pinkish from Mong Shue for example), then yes, you can find great deals.

Thanks for the insight. I’m not looking to buy Rough stones, just trying to understand the Ruby wholesale market from a gem value perspective. This is so I can create a spreadsheet for estimating value (price) of rough stones necessary to achieve a specific grade of cut stone.

For the example you provided, is $4000/ct the starting point for a quality good pidgeon blood stone above 4ct? Let’s say this was cut down to a 1ct cushion or oval, would this be worth $13,000 as a 1ct cut stone?

http://www.preciousgemstones.com Not the be all and end all but look around I like the news letters. As for rough vs cut stone price Catpigeon is right the mine owners and dealers know what they have… There are far more cutters than mines and they go with the ones that make them the most money and buys the most. As to yield rough Vs cut one gram rough to one ct or 5to1 a good cutter can do better yes. But the very best stones are not cut for yield they are cut for beauty .How rare is rough in the size you need to cut a stone the size you want and the number of people in line for it is the price.Ok with that said poor grade stones you do not need to deal with, low grade to mid grade stones are in the wholesale catalogs cut for often times less then you can buy the rough for… Color with rubies is the key and an eye for that can take years and the ear for the market too. I do not know how to put that in a spreadsheet. You know what you payed for the rough and what you need to get out of it , spreadsheet stuff, now you need to work with a good cutter and listen to what they say there looking for. I was on the edge of the emerald pool and got out before i drowned . I wish you luck.

Yeah I agree with chrisa707, it takes years to develop an eye. That’s the first thing. Then what most people don’t mention is establishing rapport. I speak Thai and it helps. a lot. Spending time, showing your true love for the gems helps too. To the point where I have gotten gems consigned to me, instead of having to pay. When you get into the pre-wholesale market, it<s closer to the true barder system. Everything is possible, but… you have to know your shit :slight_smile:

I have discovered rubies here in u.s., new hampshire, very good quality and some tough as big ad the famef liberty bell, contacy gusnus@outlook.com for photos pricing

Stoned, are you sure its ruby? According to minedatnh.org there is no mention of ruby found in New Hampshire, perhaps garnet?