Please help me identify this rock and an introduction

Hello IGS Members,
Let me begin by saying I am a brand new member here and am very excited to be here. I am going to see what you all have to say about this little brown interesting stone I found a couple of months ago here in CO.
I found this in Clear Creek and I have been trying to identify it for awhile now. I’m leaning towards a fossilized bird or reptile egg. I was initially thinking it might be a pyrite concretion of some sort, but I don’t think that’s the case now.

Hi there I would suggest taking it to a university near you as it is very difficult to get any information on fossils or things as such world wide I have bin trying for years it is a very closed comunity and very difficult to get straight answers from. I have 12 dinosaur eggs that we inherited my sister and I but we have not found any one to help us in the 16 years that we have had them .

1 Like

We have 12 different eggs and 16 years of guessing!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Wow! Very cool, certainly looks like it could be a dinosaur egg to me.
I guess I don’t feel so bad, that it has only been several years and I have not gotten
any help with identifying my potential fossils. I hope you can find out for certain in the near future, wish I could be of more help.

1 Like

You have a really tough problem on your hands. If you don’t know where they came from and specifically what sedimentary strata with associated fossils it’s impossible to tell from just the appearance. They could be simple concretions. To confirm that they are dinosaur eggs may require some high tech methods… Industrial CAT scans to penetrate the rock and see if there are remnants of a dinosaur embryo would be one method…None of these techniques are available to the genera public.
The first place to start would be to take it to your nearest University geology department and ask there. A paleontologist should be able to assist you in further confirmation.

2 Likes

Steven,

I found the potential dino egg in the same area as the Hauyne, right
here in CO near Clear Creek.

1 Like

Hi there please contact me on. (+27 628364146) Jarryed let me see how I can assist feel free to send me a WhatsApp.

I’d guess it’s a fossilized dinosaur of some kind that was manipulated in some ways in ancient times. I’d have to write a long reply to explain why that’s my guess in detail, but it looks like it is something organic fossilized, it’s the shape that I can’t ID. Like someone else posted, it’s very possible it was an egg, birds are essentially dinosaurs, a fact that I just recently learned, and I have some ancient carved megaladon teeth (a giant shark that went extinct a bit over 3 million years ago) that have similar characteristics. That long reply would be even longer if I were to explain why I happen to have anxiety carved megaladon teeth :slight_smile:

Whatever it is, it looks cool!