Paraiba brazillion or african

Is there a specific measure on a spectroscope that denotes the origin of Paraiba Tourmaline containing both Maganese and copper. Does the. neon blue effect only arise from heating or is it a naturally occurring phenomena? Is themost saturated colour of Paraiba predominantly Brazillion? Jennifer

1 Like

I have also Wonder if the amount of heating produces different colors of blue?.

The heated Paraiba tourmaline’s I purchased years ago, faded due to being heated. I was told many many years ago, tourmaline’s were not supposed to be heated? I believe sometimes the blue color may come from iron and that is why they have to be tested for the copper content.

1 Like

Good question. I have a pink tourmaline from Brazil that my seller is unsure of its exact origins. It is a nice stone and I would love to know for sure if it is one of the elusive rare Paraba pinks. Any idea how I can tell without sending it off to a lab? If not what is the best lab to ship it off to here in the states? I understand that GIA has made a few mistakes on colored stones in the past. GIL has yet to answer a single email from me.
All the best with colors!
Otter

1 Like