Opinions needed please

hi everyone,
I would like some opinions of what this stone may or may not be.
Old cut stone set in 18ct yellow gold.
there is no markings on this piece
stone is 9cts
weight of ring is 8.5 grams.
Thankyou

This could well be a lighter Ceylon sapphire. Are there any inclusions (like fingerprints)?
Have it tested.

1 Like

Hi,
thankyou.
Who should I ask to test it?
Thankyou

Visit your local (qualified) gemologist is usu best.
Good Luck

1 Like

I would also consider a light-colored aquamarine or topaz.

Anybody can give you an “opinion” [guess], but that’s not really what you want, is it? What you want is to know the identity of the stone. There are a few things I can suggest. You can spend about $80 to $100 and buy a refractometer. Once you learn to use it, you can ID all kinds of stones without dismounting them assuming you can get a facet to lie flat on the refractometer table. You can do this with most rings and some pendants and most earrings. You will get the refractive index and then determine the optic character and sign if necessary. The RI may be enough. Surely better than an “opinion.” You could also buy Hanneman’s book, Affordable Gemology and read the part about visual optics. By holding the stone up to your eye, you can point it at a penlight with a slit over it and see a bunch of rainbows in the stone. The number of rainbows seen and their colors and pattern will tell you the ID of the stone. The book is about $50, but using it is a little harder than just learning to get an RI with a refractometer. If you were great with a loupe, you might see inclusions in the stone which ID’d it, but that would take a really good knowledge of inclusions, and it isn’t foolproof. If you don’t want to do the work of learning more gemology, take the stone to a cooperative jeweler/gemologist or make contact with a local gem and minerall club and they can help you find an amateur gemologist. -royjohn

1 Like

“Old cut stone set in 18ct yellow gold”

Just curious. Is this from the seller? The reason I am asking is that you mentioned there is no metal stamp on this ring. Makes me think it’s not gold. It might be brass.

Could you post clearer picture of the stone? The blurry photos make this much more challenging. Thanks

Hi,
Would a local Gemologist be able to tell if the stone is treated?
Thankyou

If they’re competent, they can tell you the stone’s ID… if they’re very good, then they can determine synthetic or mined. Treatments, and some synthetics however can be very elusive to gemologists with standard equipment, as it usu. requires advanced equipment and specialized knowledge.

But it’s just general ID you want at this point, yes?