Online Gem cutting diagrams

Hello everyone, Brand new to gem cutting, just got back my fathers old Graves machine that I sold to a family friend when I was 16. Fast forward 20 some years and I was able to buy it back with a renewed interest and time. I have been following Tom Herbst’s 2 excellent volumes of Amateur Gem Cutting. My question: Is there a good online reference source for patterns or diagrams for gem cuts? Any info appreciated, Thanks - Steve

There’s a few online but Facet Diagrams have several thousand, searchable diagrams, all the ones I’ve tried (its not that many) cut ok. Good luck with it. :+1:

1 Like

Thousands of diagrams online, a good resource is gemologyproject.com you can select designer, index, type of cut, RI etc. What’s there will test you for 100s of years.

1 Like

Best is:

Facet Diagrams for Cutting Gemstones - FacetDiagrams.org
Gemstone Faceting Diagrams and Technical Cutting Information - International Gem Society
Faceting Designs - The Gemology Project

best

Paul

1 Like

Steven as you can see there are several on line sources for gem designs but what you will find are instructions to cut to a hundredth of a degree. Unfortunately, your machine is not designed for this so round up and down to the nearest whole degree. I have been faceting since 1971 and have only gone to a digital machine in the last couple of years when i had my Ultra Tec retro fitted. Mike

Hi Steven,

A further resource that is available for free currently is “Twelve Easy Faceting Gemstone Designs” by Andrew Brown and Mark Oros. It is available on The Australian Lapidary Forum at https://aussielapidaryforum.com/storage/BeginnerBookPDF150.pdf. That would be a great place to start with faceting.

Andrew’s website is facetingdesigns.com and Mark’s website is hashnustones.com

Wow thank you all for the directions! Lots of good looking diagrams online! NeilB93460 I am currently cutting the 150 emerald cut from the beginner book in a little clear piece of citrine. Now I do have a question about degrees: I understand that 1/10 of a degree fact is important (0.1) and Graves does make an adjustable stop (which i am thinking of getting) that is graduated for 1/10th of a degree, however is there a real point in going to the hundredth of a degree (0.01) ? that seems like something like fisherman say (which I also love) is meant to catch the fisherman, not the fish, or in this case meant to catch the gemcutter rather than enhancing the gem, now again I am a complete newbie, and have next to no real experience, but please tell me if I am wrong!

You need to go no further than right here, see IGS site for faceting recipes… Blink: Online Faceting Designs and Diagrams - International Gem Society

Or on Google type in “gem faceting designs”, get a cup of coffee and have fun browsing all the free sites there!

Hi Steve,
I found this in case if that will be helpful.

Another one is Charles Carmona, who is an author and GG.
Following is his link
https://www.guildlabs.com/about.cfm

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Hansa