Old mine vs Polki

Are Old Mine cuts also known as Polki?

no, they can’t. A polki diamond is an uncut, unpolished diamond, whereas an old mine cut refers to diamonds that came from the old mines in either Brazil or India

1 Like

old mine cut is a faceted stone not up to todays cut of 58 facets.Most old minors are recut to Tolwasky standard 58 facet.

1 Like

I haven’t see a diamond or an old mine do the Polka, but I have seen miners do it when they find something great!!! :slight_smile:

In the generally accepted usage of the jewelry trade, an Old Mine Cut is not one that come from an old mine. An Old Mine cut is a facet design which actually has one more facet than a standard round brilliant, because there is a small culet facet usually missing from an SRB. Also, the Old Mine cut has a higher crown and a smaller table than the SRB. So 58 facets vs 57 for an SRB. The Old Mine diamond is cut into something more like a cushion shape than a round, too. The transitional cut between the Old Mine cut and the SRB is the Old European cut, which is a round, but still has the high crown, small table and the culet facet. The pavilion facets on Old Mine and Old European cuts are also larger. HTH. -royjohn

1 Like

I don’t know which post you’re referring too, but I did google old mine cut, because I’ve often wondered, and the post that I looked at said that the “old mine cut” refers to diamonds that came from the old mines in either brazil or India, prior to diamonds being found in Africa, that were cut to different standards than todays diamonds.

Polki diamonds are not unpolished, they are simply uncut. They’re used mostly in Indian wedding Jewelry and don’t reflect light as much as modern Round Brilliants.

https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research/polki-diamonds-new-fashion-statement-mogul-india

1 Like

Below is the definition that I found for Polki Diamond, so evidently there are more than one definition.

“Polki is an Indian word describing a raw, uncut, and unpolished diamond in its natural state. The art of using raw diamonds in jewelry dates back to more than 2,500 years ago as part of the culture and traditions of the Mughal people.”