North Carolina Ruby Information

I hope someone can direct me. I found this amazing ruby in a stream deep in the Nantahala National Forest (not a pay to dig site) and I don’t know where to go to have it evaluated. It weighs 8.6 carats. It is blood red. Under a black light it fluoresces bright red. It appears to be one solid crystal. Thanks for any help and direction you can provide on who to contact.

I had someone ask me about the color. I am posting three more pictures for color clarity. These next three photos I am posting were taken in regular room light. I took them with my cell phone. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take a picture with the black light on it to show the fiery red glow.

When it’s in your hand it looks red. In the other two photos it looks pink. Doesn’t look like it has many cracks. I bet it has good value. I imagine someone on here will be along that can answer your question as best as possible by looking at a pic.

The color while in my hand is the closest to the actual color of the gemstone. It is a deep blood red - the pictures don’t do it justice…but I am the first to admit I am not great at the art of photography. To know the color, just think about the color of fresh blood (as creepy as that sounds it is most accurate) - that really is the color of the gemstone.

Hello sopchoppy7,

If you are still in the area check out William Holland School of Lapidary in Young Harris GA only a few miles from the Murphy, NC area
this week there is a gentleman there who teaches mineral ID, Scott Forward, very knowledgeable in the field. In the Franklin area there are some pay type mines and they may also be able to help out…

Good luck
Traharr

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES RELY ON EITHER AN IDENTIFICATION OR APPRAISAL VIA PICTURES, NO MATTER HOW GOOD THEY ARE!! You need to see an accredited gemologist, and watch the process. No-one reliable will look at a pic and tell you what you have. If you have an 8+ carat ruby, pay the fee and get the paperwork. This is certainly a beautiful stone. There is information right here at IGS as well. Good luck.