New to IGS, where to start Burma/Brazil

Hello everyone I’m new to the gem world and have fallen into a possibly interesting situation.
I live between and have have fallen into large supplier connections in Brazil and Burma in the precious stone trade in the past year and have been hesitant on moving on this because of the political situation. However this gem fever keeps creeping up on me.
That being said, I’m not sure where to start or where to find buyers after the initial purchase besides the few contacts I have across a few western countries.
More information: I am able to travel at anytime to conduct my business
I will be purchasing at mines and or gem houses

Any advice on how to move forward or even a push or a pull in a direction would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

It has been said that “9 out of 10” people that find “gem connections” get taken and can lose substantial amounts of money by paying high prices for stones that they can only sell at low prices. To avoid this requires … first, that you learn to recognize real gems and can assess quality yourself… second, that your connection has a substantial investiment of their own in having you be successful in your buying and selling… and third … it is a really good idea to have many potential buyers that can also look over what you “want” to purchase before you put up your money. The old saying of “Buyer Beware” is especially true in the gem trade in foreign countries such as Brazil and Burma.

With that said… I wish you “good luck” and every success.

2 Likes

Is there still a BAN on Burmese stones due to politics? If so, then this is something to consider when choosing supplier connections. There could be legal ramifications.
So the “Buyer Beware” saying could be very important here.

1 Like

I am British and live 6 months in Brazil and 6 months in England. Buying in Brazil is complicated and can be dangerous. Standing outside a mine with cash is not advisable. Traveling to any arranged meetings can be dangerous and even if not prearranged when you leave a shop, mine, dealer that can also be dangerous. You then have the authorities to deal with as most Brazilian miners are not properly registered. On the upside there is not much of a problem with fake stones are not such a problem in Brazil. Miss identification is very common but innocent. Often you will find blue topaz for sale but it’s actually aqua marine for example. Most stones are not treated either except maybe a little heating so this is not such a problem. Brazilians like to get the biggest stone possible cut so often you buy big stones and then have to recut to get the best colour or flaws out. I buy and cut in Brazil. I have an excellent custom cutter who used to work for De Beers in Rio and then Antwerp but is now back in Brazil. Also going to and leaving the cutter can be dangerous. My advice is be very careful.

2 Likes

Buyers are much rarer & more difficult to find than gems!

1 Like

I suggest travel to Tucson, Az. in February. Plenty business there.

1 Like

My only input is even if you’re confident with who you’re buying from… selling gemstones is not always easy. As someone mentioned you need a demand.
Personally if you don’t have a brick and mortar or a person(s) to sell to it’s hard. I think the only mechanism for selling in that case is through the internet or having a web designer make a site for you. No guarantees on that though either.