Need help identifying lg yellow-green stone

Hoping someone might be able to help me identify the stone on a ring. It’s an almost minty yellow-green, and measures in at 20mm x 15mm (x10mm deep), and is testing in the sapphire range. I was thinking it was peridot when I bought it, but it’s definitely testing much higher in the hardness scale. I’m not aware of green sapphires in this size (20-22 ct range) being eye-clean. Attaching pictures against a white background. Image from the back/bottom seems to convey the color best. Thoughts?

1 Like

Hi there dear read. This is unfortunatly a synthetic gem sometimes known as uranium glass, now in that it is still important to take it for farther testing to any jeweller that you truly trust! as my answer could also still be off yet, but from all my experience there are may old and vintage peaces with this material type posing as a light Peridot or Hyalite opal or in some cases as ultra light green tsavorite but I highly bought that it could or wold be the genuine artefact. it would be a very very rear and extremely valuable if it had bin the case and it would be a find of a life time. :star_struck: :scream: :woozy_face: :grinning:. best regards Jarryed.

Thank you so much for your reply. It certainly could be this, based on the searches / images and color. Although it does not appear to fluoresce in sunlight, as others have noted this type of glass does. My only real question is why it would not register then as glass or synthetic on the tester vs. coming up in the mohs 8.5-9 hardness range. Other glass and synthetics have tested correctly as such. But it’s possible this one is worth sending off to get a proper appraisal, just to have full confirmation / understanding of what I have.
Thank you,
Tracy

1 Like

Hi there Tracy friend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So then I think it would be better to get it into a testing station! If it has an IR like that then you could have a really special gem wow! Pleas do keep me updated on what the labs say as it would be fun to know, With it being a vintage ring you just never know. A top notch lab test is now the only way yo go, there are so many good labs in the USA and in London but I think for the best answers and opinions deferentially go the proper root as I have seen amazing light mint green Tsavorites like this before, with the bigger and better gems having bin more often found in dark ages and the victorian periods all possibilities are worth visiting. As gems in in present day times seem to be getting smaller and smaller with very few large finds happening as frequently any more as they used occur. It is important to protect and find such precious vintage gems in larger sizes as there is no gaurantee that we will find these gems of the same quality and size anymore. Best regards.

1 Like

I agree that some of the older gems and jewelry pieces are worth preserving. I will doubtless keep this one regardless of what the results end up being. And I will let you know! :slight_smile: Now to find a good, reputable appraisal provider near me.

1 Like

Hi there Songbird: I am super exited to hear back from you, let us know how it goes after testing its always so exiting with old peaces. I am very much looking forward to it and I really hope that it will be positive news for you.
Best regards Jarryed.

2 Likes

HI there Songbird so how did it go ? did you get any good news ?

1 Like