Myanmar going environmental

https://www.mmtimes.com/news/permits-jade-and-gem-mine-blocks-expire-year.html#.XGrXf4WjsVg.email
Myanmar changing mining rules and regulations

I think you may be stretching it a little bit suggesting Myanmar is going environmental,

Maybe a bit. At least the government is trying to reorganize how mining is done. This hopefully will increase the price per carat of my collection.

I have no first-hand information, but I read an article that was making the claim the license restrictions were so that the smaller individually owned mining corporations would go out of business and the military-backed corporations could step in.

That may just be cynicism, but I am wondering if anyone knows the current state of mining in Myanmar?

I know that the big jewelry houses like Tiffany and Cartier have said they will not buy Myanmar rubies anymore, but depending on the rate of mining that may not mean there is a glut.
However if the mines are working now and less people are buying them because of the political situation, it may mean there is a good opportunity to go to the Thailand mogok Ruby market directly and purchased from locals.

This is another place where @justinkprim might have good advice, I know his school IGT in Bangkok has a course about grading rough that has a guided trip to the ruby market as one of the course days.

I’ve heard a lot of conflicting things but one of the things I’ve heard is exactly what you said, basically cancelling the old mining contracts so they can rewrite the laws and have new, maybe govt people, start mining. From what I’ve heard this is creating a desperate situation for the miners who have been out of work now for more than 2 years. As far as the big brands, they aren’t supposed to buy Myanmar anything because of the embargo but I wouldn’t believe everything you hear :wink:. This is all rumor because I haven’t seen it with my own eyes but I’ve had students come from mogok and tell me a bit.

Hi I was in Mogok in 2017 for several days, went to see some sapphire and spinel mines and purchase rough at gem markets. I can tell you that there was not much ruby for sale at all and not much if any coming out of the mine we went to. The mine owner said that one good ruby would keep production going for at least 6 months. see attached photo’s of a Red spinel auction (unfortunately we could not bid) and a sapphire/ruby mine

1 Like