Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Morganite?

Someone sent me a picture of these beads claiming to be AAA grade Morganite. I didn’t think they could be Morganite because of the variety of colors, or AAA grade because of the opacity.

Beryl beads?

Have to test but. All those is not good quality never comes in beads

I think you have to be pretty hard headed in the gem world. Morganite, as you should know, is pink to pink-orange beryl. When someone says a strand of beads of various colors is morganite, they are either very ignorant or just trying to cheat you. They could be low grade beryl of various colors, but who cares? They would be nice costume jewelry, but are unlikely to even all be beryl. I’d be curious as to the price, but I would guess these are overpriced and probably not even beryl. Where do they come from and who is the seller?
-royjohn

Yes, I do know that Morganite is peachy pink, and that it is translucent to transparent. That is why I did not believe these beads could be Morganite. As I said, someone sent the picture to me. I thought it would be interesting to hear some other people’s reactions to it and what it could be. I would not purchase from unknown vendors, as this one was. That is what I advised the person who sent the picture to me as well.

AAA??? Not Morganite by any stretch of the imagination. I re-cut a badly damaged 10ct Morganite gem a few months ago, and it was AAA, it makes the beads look like plastic.

Those are mixed beryl beads. While not gemstone quality; they are bead quality. Morganite, Aquamarine and green, yellow beryl. I do own both crystal clear morganite and high quality bead morganite.
I sold a necklace using the beads with a faceted pendant.

1 Like

Exactly what I thought.

1 Like