Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Moldavite?

Is there an place online where I can find loose, cut, Moldavite decorative stones, that I can know to be legit? I figure something like Ebay is not a good place to look. I would like to buy online. But, I would like some sort of reasonable assurance that it isn’t the same thing a teenage girl bedazzles her jeans with you know?

helleri, ebay is one of the best locations to buy from-b sure the moldavite is from the check republic. Its basically space glass & makes great jewelry, hardness @ 6-7 on the scale. Not expensive with a dullish green color. On ebay look for extremegems who has a nice assort. of gems. Inclusions r a good thing in this case-they will help id the stone easier, just not a lot of inclusions needed. Enjoy ur hunt for this material-m76…

“Extremegems” seller has “from Thailand” on all their descriptions. But, you said to make sure it’s from the check republic. I am confused.

helleri, good question, the people in Thailand are companies who buy rough, raw material, & cut these stones for sale. There r many companies who do this, but check to see that the material is from the location of the ck. republic. Extremegems is a company that sells this material u seek. I cant tell u how many sales Ive made from this location, the prices Ive paid r literally pennies on the dollar & my appraisals back this up. These people will answer almost all questions u may have, so ask. In most cases if an offer is asked for, u can usually offer a price a few dollars below the asking price but do ask for origin on the moldavite gems-there is only 1 origin-m76…

Oh okay…I also Read further on the page. They, have more info on it on a table, and it does list the origin as as that. Thank you for the information.

We bought some really nice Moldavite at the Tucson Gem Show a few years back, both faceted as well as rough. There are plenty of resources for this fabulous material. I would suggest that you go on the gemstones board on this site and post a “want to buy Moldavite” thread and I am certain you will find plenty of resources you can choose from.
Kindest regards
Cheryl

If you are interested in moladvites www.aboutmoldavites.com

Not my intent to be critical of anyone’s spelling, but to help in avoiding confusion, I’m sure that he meant Czech Republic.

Hi, A E Wards in uk has some around £70.00 ive seen it in there. hope this helps.

Try jtv.com

I’ve been thinking about your question about moldavite.
Origin: Whether you are buying cut or rough, this comes only from the Czech Republic. You will probably have to buy from a dealer, because the CR gov’t is very picky about anyone coming into the area to dig for the stones.
Color: Wide range. Look at good pictures of this stone. It ranges from a pale yellowy-green to almost black. Bubble inclusions are great; they contain the atmosphere on earth when the meteorite hit and exploded!
Size: Well, yeah. The bigger the better. But bigger is expensive.
Make sure you’re dealing with a reputable dealer, and ask about appraisals.