Moissanite, Friend or Foe

Diamonds have minimal resale value.

Lab diamonds are perfect diamonds. Most lab diamonds are vvs1 or vvs2 def color and have perfect clarity. They also cost about a tenth of what an earth mined diamond costs. Their carbon footprint is minimal as well.

Lab diamonds have been mixed in with natural diamonds for decades. I don’t know if you have tried to sell any kind of jewelry as a private individual but no one will give you fair market value for any jewelry unless you place it in a good auctions and then you lose about 30% to fees. Normally you will almost always lose money on jewelry.

Jewelry doesn’t fit the definition of an investment. An investment generates income.

Jewelry especially diamond jewelry unless it’s a Cartier or similar brand is a depreciating asset. It loses value over time because diamonds are not scarce.

Colored gemstones are very scarce and the mines are running out especially for corundum.

There are literally metric tons of diamonds held in reserve. Probably enough to satisfy demand for the next 100 years…

okay, Danibau. Thank you for taking the time to give a clear-explanation. You’re right about standards for the other varieties of (substitute) gemstones. Thank you for answering that.

You said someone is sitting on a 100 year supply of diamonds, but not selling it. So I looked at supply/demand data, and found out what’s been happening.

In short, the old diamond-business-model folded with a fall in consumer-wealth starting in 2008 when trillions of dollars were wiped out in consumer-demand. Russia and Angola were sitting on tons of inventory and unable to recoup their costs. Thousands of gem-cutters were wiped out in India. You can read about the rest of this 2009 article here: Rapaport Magazine - A New World

Customer behavior has changed adversely since then. https://www.jewellermagazine.com/Article/8638/Dont-blame-synthetic-diamonds-for-the-natural-industrys-woes

Jewelry is entertainment. Younger customers have less money and they are less interested in jewelry. It does not go well with tattoos either. Good luck. I hope that I may have helped in some way. Peace.

I have 2 of them my-self and I think they are more of a better looking stone than any diamond! You put a real high price diamond say $50,00.00 and a $300.00 usa Moissanite certified stones together and have 5 people pick which one is the real diamond and they’ll pick the Moissanite try it! I did. both were the same everything all 4 C’s! The diamond lost!!

1 Like