Minicourses

Is there any plans for a Spinel minicourse? I would love that.

2 Likes

We are adding new gem mini-courses soon, however, we don’t have specific plans for a spinel course at the moment. But we’ll keep spinel in mind as we consider additional courses down the line.

Pedro
IGS Admin

2 Likes

My vote for next Minicourse is ALL things Chrysoberyl

2 Likes

Any Preview of what you are considering after Tourmaline

Aquamarine, amethyst, and gemstone treatments (not necessarily in that order).

Pedro
IGS Admin

4 Likes

Seems that gem families would take precedence over individual members of families (Emerald, Aquamarine,Morganite, Heliodor,Bixbyte(Yes I know the name confusion), Goshenite, etc), (Citrine, Amethyst, Ametrine and many other quartz). In any case, renew my request for Chrysoberyl with particular emphasis on natural vs laboratory colors, especially with Cats-Eye). The Spinel request seems also to have merit.

Will the treatment minicourse also cover known synthetics (aware of preference for Lab Created)
A lot to do

The treatment course will focus on techniques used to enhance gemstones and how to detect them. It does not cover synthetics/lab-created stones, although we will cover topics such as assembled stones, hybrid stones (part-natural/part synthetic stones, like ruby/glass hybrids), and HPHT processes. The subject of synthetic stones would probably merit its own separate minicourse.

2 Likes

We’ll also consider adding a Chrysoberyl course in the future!

Pedro
IGS Admin

3 Likes

LOL Since I have "bothered"you before, let me do so again. Considering the depressed state of the world economy due to CoViD, why not prioritize something lovely but comparatively inexpensive. Maybe that was exactly what you were doing with the upcoming amethyst course. However, the “family” of agates include a bewildering range of colors and almost “unworldly” patterns. These are things that almost anyone could afford yet very poorly known and understood. Just a suggestion.

2 Likes

Yes, I am interesting in Spinel mini course too.

2 Likes

Yes! One more vote for spinel mini course :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Totally need a Tourmaline course!

We have one.

1 Like

Nice!! Imma start that course asap

1 Like

A spinel course would be truly excellent