Lab Created Fancy White Diamonds?

Hi everyone! I’m trying to do some research on fancy white diamonds. I’m having a hard time finding more information other than Leibish & Co, and a few articles. I know the natural ones are rare, but I was wondering if they’ve found a way to synthesize them. I can’t seem to find anything on them, probably because white diamonds are interchangeable terms for colorless diamonds. I’m assuming the milky white colored diamonds can’t be synthesized, since I can’t find any info. I just wondered if someone could confirm that for me. Thanks!

1 Like

I recommend to check references on Wikipedia’s articles.
i.e. Synthetic diamond - Wikipedia
There are plenty links, so maybe you will find what you are looking for. :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused by your description of ‘fancy white diamonds’. Unless that is a term being used to describe a proprietary or trade marked lab creation such as “Diamond Essence” for cubic zirconia.

In my experience with GIA’s grading criteria for genuine stones, diamonds are graded on a color scale from D thru Z; D being colorless; and subsequent gradings becoming more yellow until the last grade of Z which is yellow.

Any other color diamond of which there are multitudes are graded as 'Fancy" diamonds using a separate set of standards. So, at least in GIA speak a white diamond cannot by definition be a fancy diamond. The two appear in my experience to be mutually exclusive.

Perhaps you’ll have better luck tracking down answers to your question if you search separately for lab created or synthetic fancy diamonds, leaving out the word white.
Hope this helps.

I understand that colorless diamonds are graded D-Z. I’m talking about natural diamonds that are a milky white color. I was wondering if they created a synthetic version of those.

The diamonds get the white color from submicroscopic inclusions which cause it to be a frosty white color.

Leibish and Co has these along with their other fancy colors. The terms white diamonds and colorless diamonds are interchangeable in the trade, but there also natural white colored diamonds, although they’re rare.

I know we’ve synthesized other fancy colors but didnt know about white colored diamonds.

Opaque then?

I think a white, milky diamond isn’t worth much, so it is unlikely that labs are going to try to synthesize them. I don’t think you are going to find any. A lack of transparency is a serious flaw in a gem diamond.

1 Like

Hi there jewels2627. there are opaque white diamonds, we do come across them here in Africa, they are hard to come-by! as only the very clean and clear gems are hunted for so it is some what tough to fined but they are not synthesised but probably could be done. but I doubt that they would as it is not as valuable as cleaner white or blue white gems so it would be a costly process to do for a lesser grade gem and lesser valued gem. the cost do not justify manufacture unless it was for an order only but with what they can and do manufacture today one never knows
best regards Jarryed from Bijoux de valour.

Just a question but are you looking for these gems or just information on them if it is just info I can still help, but if you are looking for the gems I would have to cut as a special order. :sweat_smile
Best regards Jarryed
whatsapp contact: +27 71 281 7588

Wrong. Natural-Color Fancy White and Fancy Black Diamonds: Where Color and Clarity Converge | Gems & Gemology

1 Like