Keeping track of inventory

My name is Wil.

I started to dabble in gem stones just recently.

I wanted to diversify my rainy day collections (coins) and attended a live auction.
I purchased several stones and I was kind of hooked.

The first challenge I encountered is how do you keep an inventory. There is a lot of paperwork, such as lot numbers, certifications, and paper packages in which the gem stones are distributed. Since I have a limited amount of knowledge regarding gemstones, I have to add the names as well.

So, what is a recommended format for keeping inventory?
What kind of storage furniture is recommended?

Your expert advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Wil

I think a system of drawers, etc. I’m in the same boat.

If you are a collector, I suggest the 1 inch gem jars that come 50 to a flat. Plenty of them available on aliexpress and you will be able to easily enjoy them, as well as inventory them.

If you are a dealer, parcel papers & diamond boxes are probably best.

1 Like

I have the same question, but I’m talking inventory, which I is there a program out there that I can keep track of all the sizes and gemstone

I use a small pocket notebook for things like that. They dont take up a lot of space. I keep all my bills paid/confirmation codes in my purse. Old school, but it works.

I got hooked on gemstone collecting about 20 years ago and store my stones in gem jars. I then put stickers on the bottom of each jar with the name, size , weight and RI of each stone, so that they are easily identifiable, not only for me, but if my daughter ever ends up having to deal with them. I then keep all of the paperwork, appraisals etc in one of those small, portable file folders. I currently have 3 100 count gem trays and 4 50 count trays, which are full. The gem trays not only keep the stones safe, but they allow you to look at a large number of stones at once instead of one by one.

As far as keeping track, you can make an excel work sheet or write them down by hand in spiral note book.