Jadeite or Nephrite?

Hi all,
Jadeite or Nephrite?
Can some one assist me with identifying the different between Jadeite and Nephrite?
Thank you

Nephrite is duller and is normally opaque rather than translucent, it is often what I would term as army green. The SG is different Jadeite having a higher SG. That is not to say that you cannot get excellent Nephrite as you can and it is still a beautiful gem. But it is difficult to tell the difference unless you do an SG so my advice would be to get the scales out. The picture of your piece would I would say is #nephrite maybe even another species that is dyed, I imagine it is not a very deep stone?

1 Like

It appears that this stone can be rather easily unmounted and remounted. If so, an SG measurement would be definitive. The back of the stone also appears “flat” enough to render an accurate RI. Always be on the lookout for Serpentine looking like jades. ;)))

1 Like

Since it it in a setting, I would rely on the RI. I have seen both in the quality.

hi
The picture was taken with light behind it so therefore it is going to look lighter.
In one of my other discussions I uploaded a picture of a gem stone that was a medium to dark red but when it had light behind it, it looked like a deep orange.
Thank you for all the advice everyone

1 Like

hi
Please see the new picture I have just uploaded.
Thank you

1 Like

In your second photo taken with reflected light … It has the Look and Color of Plain Jane Green Nephrite to me. ;)) Looks like it took a real nice polish though.

2 Likes

hi,
Are you able to give me an example of what Nephrite is worth? Please.
Thank you

Nephrite Jade, like many gemstones and minerals is all dependent on “quality” color, clarity, treatments vs non-treated etc… which for nephrite can be complicated by what is valued by region. …

someone can correct me if im wrong, but doesnt jadeite have tiny (pinwheel like sparkles) when viewed at an angle in the natural sunlight?

Not always. I have some very nice type A jadeite which does not show the “glitter effect”. I also have some nephrite that does have a “glitter effect” and have seen this on aventurine as well. That is not to say that Jadeite does not as some does.