Back to IGS | FAQ | Contact

Is wearing a sapphire on the skin toxic due to aluminum?


#1

Since sapphires are composed of aluminum does that mean that wearing one next to the skin constantly including when washing hands could cause a person to absorb the aluminum? I have searched online and called GIA and CDC about this and have not been able to find an answer. I joined this society hoping someone could answer the question since I wear a large pre-owned sapphire ring that has a stone so deep that even though it is set up high the point of it pushes slightly into my finger. I would appreciate any information on this very much.


#2

Sapphire is not toxic against the skin. In order for the aluminum to absorb into your skin, the sapphire would have to dissolve first, which isn’t going to happen. Ultimately, there’s more aluminum entering your system from breathing in household dust than in your sapphire!

There’s more information in the IGS article on toxic and radioactive gems and in the gemstone toxicity table.


#3

I don’t think it will bother you. Corundum has aluminum at molecular level trapped , shouldn’t bleed out of stone into skin… no worries


#4

Thank you so much! I appreciate your taking the time to help me.


#5

Thank you very much for helping me with this! I appreciate your taking the time.


#6

Sapphire is Al2O3 - aluminum oxide, you could eat it an not absorb any aluminum!


#7

Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know!


#8

I absolutely agree with all of the answers to this question and would like to note that this is an excellent question. The amount of aluminum in corundrum is considered to be less than a trace amount. I’d honestly be more concerned about old dental fillings containing metals or the metal settings of certain jewelry pieces. I’m not aware of any known cases in which sapphire caused any sort of metal related toxicity.


#9

The solubility of Al203 (Corundum/sapphire) is extremely low. By that I mean essentially stable in environments where humans live. Consider that of all the elements that we are exposed to, aluminum is present in low concentration in almost everything, from soaps to soda cans to other food containers. Can it be toxic? The simple answer is that, in certain combinations (salts) it can be to plants who are only affected by high concentrations. As someone has pointed out, your exposure to aluminum is far greater in house dust than from you cherished ring-stone. Enjoy it and forget about the aluminum. You, and the rest of us, are submerged in a vast array of overtly toxic materials: aluminum is not one of them.
Bob Ritchie, M.D.


#10

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this reassurance! I love the ring and am grateful to know I can relax and enjoy it.


#11

Thank you very much for letting me know it is safe! I appreciate your taking to time to help me.