Is this censer jadite?

Sent from my iPadThis piece is heavy measures 5 1/2x 5 1/2 x 3 1/2 could anyone give me any information ? Is this jadite if not what may it be. What value may it have? Thank you for any information or help you may be able to give me. Jade52

Hello … It doesn’t have the look or texture of Jadeite Jade of Nephrite Jade (in the case of Mutton Fat Jade or White Nephrite Jade). My first impression is that it is a Fluorite carving (see attached photo for comparison). Enjoy. Michael at The Diamond Grader Lab in Las Vegas. www.thediamondgrader.com :slight_smile:

Another test you can try is to use black-light. Some fluorite have strong florescence under short-wave and weak florescence under long-wave. The fluorescence will be most noticeable within the green sections. It is difficult to tell florescence in purple stones since most LW black lights give off purple light.

The way it color zones is very invocative of how fluorite color-zones. The 3 types of jade (jadeite, nephrite and mar-sit-sit) are typically opaque, with only very small pieces exhibiting translucency in the finest examples.

Fluorite melts at around 1360 Celsius or 2480 Fahrenheit for pure samples. And this melting requires sustained application of heat. This is achievable with a propane torch, but will likely take a significant amount of fuel.

Additionally, some quartz specimens exhibit similar colors, however the examples I have been able to find are quite small, and I am only familiar with fluorite producing crystals large enough to be used in large scale carving such as this censer.l

Thank you Robert I will try black light

I believe this to be Fluorite all so. I have collected several large specimens thru out the years. All my specimens came from Hunan province China. The carving looks Oriental to me. It is beautiful. Gary.

Your carving could also be, Serpentine- Bowenite, but i personally believe it to be Fluorite .

I wanted to comment on the rlynch statement that there is 3 types of jade .Maw- Sit- Sit , is dark green and black. And in only some specimens is their about 20% jadeite. It is named after a mountain in Burma. ( Mayanmar ).