Is rough Pyrite Safe for Jewellery

I would like to know if rough pyrite nugget like beads safe to use in beaded jewellery?

1 Like

I guess that would depend on what the definition of “safe” is.

Pyrite nuggets may contain traces of arsenic, nickel, or copper, and they also break down over time. You should wash your hands after handling them. Since it’s likely the wearer will handle the beads of a necklace, I think it would be wise not to use pyrites as “raw” beads. On the other hand, a pyrite piece mounted on some backing might be a better option for a necklace, maybe as a pendant, but I’m not sure that would be practical for necklace beads.

1 Like

Pyrite in general is not well suited for jewelry. it’s somewhat soft (6 -6.5 Mohs) brittle and prone to cracking. In addition, it will spontaneously oxidize with exposure to moist air, lose it’s luster and also produce small amounts of sulfuric acid as it oxidizes, which will tarnish metals. cubic pyrite crystals are attractive and are best suited for pendants or brooches. Setting them in rings or any other piece of jewelry that is subject to daily shocks and banging around risks cracking. a bead necklace has the same draw backs as to shock and banging around exposure… I wouldn’t recommend a bead necklace, nor a ring.