Iolite Prices Gone Crazy?

An old client of mine who quit the business about twelve years ago brought me a ton of goods he wanted to clear out… including about 1000cts of commercial quality iolite.

These are goods that used to be quite cheap, but, I’m seeing this material selling for $8-$10ct in parcels and $30ct+++ as single stones/sets of 4-8 gems.

Prices jumped for gem quality Iolite since Tanzanite is getting harder to find. People like the darker blue shades of Iolite compared to the lighter purple of the Tanzanite now in the market. Kyanite from Nepal is also creeping up in prices.
Lee

2 Likes

I am interested in the lot can you give me your best price including postage to Australia and photos+ general size and weight
Regards
Ed

Do you still have any of these stones? Are they cut or uncut? I have been looking for some Iolite to have cut of you still have some I would love to see what you have available.
All the best to you and yours.
Otter

Sorry, all sold.

I have a few iolite pieces. They are all includid but still pretty.

When it comes to wanting to know recent values, first place I look is here lol. I have been living on the IGS price guide page, almost daily and on almost every stone I consider as a potential purchase. While my company is currently a start up, I spend too much time on potential purchases so this page has become like a family member to me!

Another one I use, though there is nothing for iolite, is Iolite Average Retail Prices (value charts per carat) in 2023 but I do find it handy at times. Been using it for Emeralds of late.

One thing I can not find solid values on is Hiddenite, only suggested pricing with nothing more than that?

1 Like

Are you looking for rough? I have quite a lot

I really don’t like iolite, but I do think it’s interesting that they have a unique (and very loooong) chemical composition. I love Nepalese kyanite, it has an amazing glow and gorgeous colour, have a piece in a ring. You can get cheap (cheap in price, not in quality. Good stones, but be careful to check the ‘stone information’ as a lot of sapphires and emeralds on there are treated etc) ‘Nilamani’/Daha Kyanite (as well as green and teal kyanites) from Gemporia, also iolite. Jewellery Search | Gemporia and Jewellery Search | Gemporia