Input from Gem Collectors

So, I’m new to the realm of gem and mineral collection. I worked at Kay Jewelers’ for two years and am really interested in collecting different gems and minerals. I’m trying to find the best way to display a gem collection up in the home. I’ve seen a couple things, but I wanted to see if anyone wanted to share what they’ve done. Thanks!

Hi jewels,
I have a huge lot of hessonite garnet all natural and all above 8ct stone.

We’re in the middle of moving so I can’t send pics, but, I suggest hitting up antique furniture stores and markets and getting a curio cabinet.

Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

Hi Jewels2627,

I am just like yiu, my brother who are in gem business, he always wanted me to market his collections in North America. I have some nice collection of 4 carat (eye clean top collor emerald) 3.94 untreated srilankan Saphire, 2.2 carat Heated Saphire and 12 women rings on Platinum settings (Diamonds and emeralds) (with columbian emeralds on the center stones).
Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

Hi Jewels2627,

I am just like you, my brother who is in the gem business, he always wanted me to market his collections in North America. I have some nice collection of 4 carats (eye clean top collor emerald) 3.94 untreated Srilankan Saphire, 2.2-carat Heated Saphire and 12 women rings on Platinum settings (Diamonds and emeralds) (with Colombian emeralds on the center stones).
Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

Many cutters display gems in trays of gem jars, but these are very prosaic…if I had a curio or china cabinet I would be tempted to display stones alongside other neat objects such as agates, starfish and suchlike on a piece of white fur or cotton batting. The only disadvantage here would be the need to dust and clean with a lint free cloth regularly. Another option would be to have some of the gems set so that they could be shown easily on the white background or worn from time to time. Sterling mountings need not be expensive and one would only need to find a jeweler who would set stones for a reasonable fee…also bear in mind that set stones increase in value and increase in value even more so if they are set with some melee diamonds in gold…this kind of setting does cost money, but if the stones themselves are expensive, the added expense of setting in a ring increases value quite a bit. Do some calculations and see what I mean…HTH, royjohn

2 Likes

I used to display some of my collections, but, after having people in our home, socially, I have found that the risk way outweighs the "wan"t to display the gems and fossils. In other words, unless you know everyone who will be inside your home- you must weigh the risk of theft with the “want” to display. Now, I just display fossils but I’ve also changed by insurance and used an addition insurance company to cover my risk. Its not that the “theft” risk is while those people (guests) are in your home, it’s the risk of who they tell (whether innocently or not). Just not worth the risk for me.

3 Likes