Identification & Guidance

Hello to all. I am relatively new to the gemstone world. I just traveled to Ethiopia, and was surprised to find out what resources are available in the country! I was overwhelmed with what I saw, and couldn’t believe what I witnessed! I am so overwhelmed, I don’t know where to start. First could someone please help me identify the following. And secondly what should I do with this? Do any of this have any value? Are they worth cutting/polishing etc? If so is there anyone in the Washington DC area, that can cut/polish? I am also interested in building relationships that is mutual to all parties! Thank you so much in advance.

#1 is Welo Opal rough

1 Like

Thank you! Actually that’s the only one I know.

1 Like

Lol, it’s the easy one. The rest will just be best educated guess with nothing but pictures to go by. I’m still to much of a novice to even make educated guesses. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep. Same here started learning as soon as Covid started. All this were given to me as a goodwill, and was in a rush as it was almost time to fly back, and i can’t remember what each item was with the exception of the opal.

Hi blacklion, No2 looks like possibly tektite, red and green ruby zoisite not sure on anything else

3 Likes

It is wise not to guess.

The more education you have, the more you realize how many different materials have a similar appearance.

2 Likes

I second [Hobart_M_King], and I will add: no serious professional gemologist will advise you and appraise gemstones based solely on pictures.
Do not let anyone tell you identification and prices before the stones have actually gone through gemology testing, it will be fraudulent advice I’m sure. Find a gemologist near you :slight_smile:
Best of luck!

2 Likes

I will not attempt to identify any except the opal. I will say the clear stone is the only one that may be worth faceting. The others are way to dark to cut and get light return of any amount.

2 Likes

good score on the opal!

please repost if youre able to create any jewellery from these; it would be nice to see the final result…

Bren

1 Like

The red ones are rubies.

1 Like