ID these purple gems please

ID these purple gems I’ve taken a couple out of each bag and put them in the center.

I believe there are Garnett because I checked the specific gravity and I came up with numbers in between 3.4 to 3.8 I bought a large collection of gems minerals rocks etc. In one of the boxes I found these faceted stones some of them were red garnet mostly mixtures of pyrote and almondine once I found that out I started doing more research and looking closer at the stones found out I had a couple of different colors including dark red very dark like a blackish hu, orangish red and some pinkish red I had 2 stone test it and that’s what they told me I figured the purple was amethyst but as I’m getting more knowledgeable regarding gems I wondered if they were amethyst and I figured they might not be but I could be wrong any help would be appreciated also what are the better stones the darker purple the light purple any information, thanks

1 Like

Amethyst? I am a hundred and 10% sure though in cases of large parcels like what I see in your pictures, be sure to go threw and make sure that it is all the same gem. some times other gems can get mixed up in big lots like this.
best regards Jarryed.

2 Likes

this also looks like Zambian Amethyst not a bad find at all !!!. :star_struck:

So I ended up with about four ziplocs full of rough mostly different types of red Garnett I’ve only gone through two of the ziplocs thoroughly and I have about 10 green Garnet six yellows and about six purples and then a couple that are two colors of green and red a green and yellow that changes colors but I don’t think any of the two color stones could be cut without breaking and I also just purchased an refract index scope so using that I should be able to tell right? I spent a lot of money I had to buy the entire collection to get it so I really hope they’re not amethyst although I don’t know anything zumbain amethysts but thank you guys very much when dealing with stones for example of these purple ones is a more brilliant color always the better Stone or can the Pb4/5 I’m not sure if I did that right dark purple with a black hue be worth less than the barely purple mostly clear stones?

1 Like

Hi John please feel free to contact me on whatsapp let me see if I can help.
whatsapp number +27712817588.
best regards Jarryed

I saw a lot of hydrothermal grown synthetic amethyst like this at some of the Tuscon Gem Shows this year. It is sometimes its not easy to make out the difference. But undulating growth, chevron or zigzag patterns will give the synthetics away.

1 Like

Zambian Amethyst from Africa discovered about 20 years ago, is darker purple and usually more valuable than Brazilian, which is lighter with some clear quartz in it. Personally, I like the Brazilian better because it is a bluer tone of purple. Zambian Amethyst is a redder tone purple and sometimes so dark that it looks black until it is held up to the light. There are some very complicated grading scales for Amethyst online that take in consideration the depth of color and purity of color. I don’t see anything in your picture that looks green or red, but Amethyst is sometimes heated to change color to green, and yellow to look like Citrine.

Hard to tell but my guess would be amethyst.

I personally like the Brazilian and Uruguayan amethyst tgat is found along the river. Both to me are tge nice darker color the same as tge Zambian ones ive seen.

You can find light and dark Amethyst from Brazil, but I have not seen Brazilian Amethyst that looks almost black like some of the Zambian Amethyst does. I prefer Brazilian from what I have seen because it has a bluer tone than Zambian. I only work with beads so Ken may be seeing different things in rough or facetted gems.

Could be amethyst. From the pics it looks like that to me. Although i did want to say that there is some nice dark amethyst found near the border of Uruguay which is just as nice if not nicer than Brazilian. I happen to have bith in larger stones.

That post was put up a while ago since then I’ve been studying gemology I’ve opened my own company with my wife nature’s masterpieces I did have a couple of them tested they are as in amethyst the picture has all different grades some of it would fall into the category of Siberian others de France most people refer to it as Zambian it is beautiful the 25% of that entire parcel might fall into the triple a category it is very nice purple darker with blue and red fire everyone has been impressed by the quality I hate it just because I can’t charge someone for quarts 40/50$ a ct. Even when it’s worth more it’s just something in my psychology that says if it’s quarts i can’t put it in gold I figured it was amethyst when I wrote the post I was really hoping it would end up being some of it Garnett but nope thanks guys

Amethyst and Citrine are the most valuable Quartzes. AAA Amethyst is a really nice find. Rose de France are the lighter ones. Siberian is a classification reserved for the best to the best, not necessarily coming from Siberia. Zambians are the darker ones. The highest quality ones may be higher value than Garnet, if you have a trustworthy source certifying that they are natural.

It could be. What i sell is faceted large stones that are grom either Brazil and Uruguay. I like these two cointry of origins also. The ones i stock are the beautiful royal purple color. They are the deep beautiful color high end amethyst us known for. To be jonest I’ve never seen any that are blackish. But then again when i bought my stones to sell they were through a friend that knew a lot of the miners and cutters in the industry so I knew once i saw them abd he never showed me inferior gems.

They sound beautiful. Any pics?

looks very much like good amethyst. However if you did not make an error in measuring SpG, 3.4 to 3.8 is too dense for a quartz stone… garnets will be in the range but are not birefringent. Quartz is. Conflicting data on easily done home test have to be reconciled with more sophisticated testing. send one stone to a professional.

That’s a lot of stones!!! It’s hard from a picture but do look like amethyst. Amethyst isn’t an expensive stone especially on the smaller size so I hope you didnt pay a lot. Good Luck!

So this is the third update on the purple stones I wrote the original message when I first started my journey into gemology by spending my life savings and some of my wife’s on a estate if you read the first posting you will understand I wrote the second one after having someone at my local club do some testing on some of the largest stones as well as me and my wife doing some testing on a couple of the same stones by this I just mean we did the ri testing we tried specific gravity but I believe I was doing it and incorrectly I believe I was doing something like weighing the stone submerged in the beaker seeing how much the water moved to equal the mass can I believe dividing it by the difference of the Stone submerged and not submerged so obviously there’s a couple of things wrong with that equation submerged is correct but thrown in a beaker and laying on the bottom is submerged yes but it is not how you preforme a specific gravity test it should be suspended not touching any sides your bottom and under the water completely but since you’re all IGS members you can look it up on their site so I don’t describe it incorrectly some of the stones were absolutely what I thought were too beautiful to be at this if you read the second posting you will see that I thought they were Garnett but came to the conclusion they were not. Couple of months later it was still killing me to see such beautiful stones and have never seen a piece of amethyst this beautiful I bought a thermal conductor there are somewhat reasonably priced and get one for under $1,000 you can even get one for just under 500 I believe so I’m happy to report after thermal testing there was amethyst mostly amethyst and the ones that I thought were too beautiful turned out to be spinel as far as the thermal tester is concerned and after doing an r.i. on those stones which are not the largest stones we originally tested. So I believe I’m going to send you a couple to the gia I will let you guys know also I won one of the Garnett’s in the drawing for last month!!! I’ll post a picture of what I received!! I’m kind of excited I can’t imagine what it’s going to end up being kind of hoping a blue color changing Stone maybe around 3 carats but we’ll see I’ll keep you guys updated thanks for all your support.

1 Like