I finally bought the course & some books

I am proud to say I finally bit the bullet and invested in the IGS Gemologist Course and bought two books on Amazon: “Secrets of the Gem Trade” and “Guide to Affordable Gemology,” after reading this forum and the IGS articles for some months.

As I have been adding more jewelry to my online Etsy shop, I can see how important it is to understand more about gemstones. So now I can focus on the work and wonders of learning. Thank you IGS and thanks to all the people in this forum who provide help to others. I hope I can do so soon.

Secrets of the Gem Trade: The connoisseur’s Guide to Precious Gemstones

Guide to Affordale Gemology

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing and best wishes to you.

“Secrets of the Gem Trade” is one of my favorite books. It has so much practical information and information from the deep experience of the author. Very valuable.

Another valuable resource to me is the quarterly journal… “Gems and Gemology” published by the Gemological Institute of America. The current issue has a great article about the gems now coming out of Ethiopia and another about pleochroism and color-change in Alexandrite. It is always loaded with great photography of gems and their inclusions.

Good luck with your work!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences Hobart.

Hey Teri,
Best of luck on your course. Another invaluable book is Walter Schumann’s Gemstones of the World. It’s a great reference source, and I take mine everywhere with me.
Alec

3 Likes

I found the course extremely valuable - best wishes for your studies!

2 Likes

Thanks Alec. I have that one to help me identify gems. It is very useful.

1 Like

Tks so much . great experience .

Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!

If you don’t have a sales background, I strongly suggest spending some time learning/getting better at sales.

This guy is kind of a douchebag, but, his sales advice is great (and FREE!)

1 Like

Hi
Is there any thing I can assist you with today, sir ?
Ok, well could you tell me if you have a interest in American president’s?
I would like to ask you a favor, hold this pen here that is your average $19.00 descent writing pen. Write something personal; I know sign your name.
Ok, now here is a limited edition number pen exact pen that JFK used when he was in the oval office as Mr. President John F Kennedy. Now hold read the inscription, now sign your name with it.
Tell me did you really feel good writing your name with the elegant limited edition JFK pen , did you feel an connection with the President JFK , one of the most admired President’s in American history.