Help with gemstone

Check out this cabachon ring, made by my grandfather. If anyone can help with the pictures I would greatly appreciate the help. No hardness test yet because I have not idea what it is or could be. A family member told me it was a quality gem.

Hi, I would say from the photo it is difficult to make a really educated guess but my first impression is a dyed material maybe Chalcedony or similar.

3 Likes

I’ve seen turquoise this color, but it was the base color, not the color of the whole stone. I would have to agree and say the stone has been dyed.

1 Like

Hey MilesF, did you happen to administer a hardness test? That could potentially rule out most turquoise and may point to an agate based on the what looked like banding in the last photo. Even without a hardness test, getting a closer look at the inclusion in the center with a 10x loupe may help steer you towards a positive identification. I also cannot tell if its “orange peeled” because the closeup photo is a little blurry, but if thats the case it may be a stone prone to that phenomena. Please let us know if you did already identify the beautiful mystery stone. Hope this helps!

Blue green jasper.
It looks like a Columbian emerald doesn’t it?ur grandfather even kept it freeformed to I bet u. He sanded away all the dirt and other stuff then polished it. Mainly because you waste it of u facet it. It’ll never go transparent. Its a opaque stone.
Iv worked on one is how I know.
It probably even shows more blue in one direction and more green in another.

Chrysoprase could be another possibility.

Actually interestingly enough we get three naturaly accruing gems in Africa! with this colour complexity that comes from chrome or tin deposits. :slightly_smiling_face: