Hello! I am new

Hi my name is Monica I’m new to this site. I I inherited my mothers collection of gemstones when she passed away. And there are some beautiful ones in there. I was wondering if there are any groups that maybe like get together once a month and gab and talk about their gemstones. I live in Arkansas

3 Likes

The covid stuff certainly has screwed up the get-together aspect of off-line clubs.
I’d contact the closest rock and mineral club in your area to see what’s up.
Go to a meeting and casually meet those folks. Some of the nicest folks on our fair planet can be found among rock hounds. No doubt, you will meet some folks there who are ready to help (and not out to scam you). Then, just take your time and set something up.
Good luck, John

1 Like

I found IGS the same way, I inherited some stones from my father when he passed away and then started to add to the collection. Welcome tyo the forums and condolences for your loss.

1 Like

I live in Ward if you are in the area we cat discuss this over coffee sometime.

1 Like

Super cool! I live in Jacksonville. I’d love to get together and chat

Awesome I will be in touch with you soon

1 Like

I am in Fort Lauderdale area and have many gemstones I’ve invested in and sold up in NYC area. I don’t know if any groups around here. Are there any?

I’m sorry about the confusion, we live in Arkansas

If anyone is in the Philippines, it would be cool… otherwise zoom chats would probably work for most people. I barely leave my home anymore. I work from home and my suppliers come here to show me stones.

Unfortunately none of my friends are interested in gemology other than my wife who designs our jewelry. She loves gemstones, just not the science behind it. I’m an uber nerd and i like knowing why thins work the way they do and why gems have thier properties.

I’ve only been studying gemology in earnest for the last three or four months. I was introduced to the world of gems by my former boss when i lived and worked in Tanzania for a telecom. He taught me a little about rubies, sapphires and Tanzanite. I actually got to visit the region where many of these stones are mined (by hand, virtually no heavy machinery).

Africa is a wild and dangerous place and not for the faint of heart.

Anyway, stay safe and enjoy the collecting. Its so much safer being able to do it from the safety of your home instead of traveling to some out in the middle of nowhere location to buy gemstones. But that is a different kind of adventure. It’s definitely not for everyone.

2 Likes

You still have the gems

I sold most of the tanzanite and other gems I bought in Tanzania. I have one remaining Tanzanite that is a 7ct top grade beauty that I don’t think I will ever part with. Its an extraordinarily beautiful stone. I had that analyzed in Spain and they gave it the highest grade for the color, cut and clarity possible for a stone of its size.

1 Like

You should get the Gemology Tools Professional software. Its about 100 bucks. It has colored photos of gemstones and pictures of their inclusions. Spectrums of gems and it has a feature called SEPERATOR which involves you plugging in the critical data of the stone as you test it such as hardness, RI, SG, Optical characteristics, etc. and you can query your info at any point to narrow your search. It is a very neat program.

That sounds like a good investment… I’ll have to Google that and hope I can find it.

Thank you very much for the tip @kreder9277

I got the gemeprice software to help me with naming the correct colors and with pricing… For both buying and selling so I don’t over pay…

I’ll be in Bangkok in September on. Agent buying trip and hope all this helps me with the purchasing of gems for our business.

Sorry, I didn’t have the address in front of me when I sent you the info, but here it is. www.gemologytools.com
GT PRO also includes magnetism, UV light reactions SW & LW and much more. There is a demo on you tube

Hkw close are you to Shreveport La